View Full Version : Any stone/slate cutters

fred
12-01-2004, 09:21 PM
anyone working in slate

davidallen
12-03-2004, 11:51 PM
I tried simple engraving.

use a carbide bit designed for stone.
use a water mist to keep the bit cool and dust down.
you will get 'mud' everywhere. the air deflector may help, but I didn't have one when I tried it.

fred
12-04-2004, 03:09 AM
Thanks David, what about using a dust collector?

ron brown
12-04-2004, 10:10 AM
Fred,

I tried flattening a piece of slate with a 5/8" indexable bit and a PC 7518 Router set at low speed. Even with a ltttle water there were sparks flying from the bit. Bit wear was high and, like David said, there was mud everywhere.

I "Think" one might use a low speed spindle, shields, water bath and a slurry pump for cooling and be able to work soft stones. I don't think the same machine could be switched back to "dry" work very easily.

Ron

fred
12-04-2004, 11:18 AM
Thanks Ron: In shopbots quote they put in a heavy duty spindle Ctrl Bx domestic 110v 1 phase 220 2 pole. I am not very computer literate and so after reading the forum for a week now, I realize that I need to partner up with someone who is knowledgeable in Cad as well engineering. I make a line of slate tables/furniture. A local stone company with an Italian cnc just did a beautiful job carving a sample table for me, they use water and are set up for all the waste sludge etc.

bill.young
12-04-2004, 12:21 PM
Hey Fred,

Don't know if he would be interested or not, but my recommendation would be to see if Ron Brown is interested in partnering with you. He's a great "seat of the pants" engineer, is fluent in a handful of 2d and 3d CAD programs, and has experience in customizing ShopBots for unusual applications.

You can see one of the tools he worked on at http://www.shopbottools.com/bctriptocamp4.htm

Good luck,
Bill

davidallen
12-05-2004, 07:07 PM
you could use a dust collector (wet/dry vac?) but you'll still get a lot of mud slung off of the bit.

if you're doing 2D work, you'll be better off using a water jet but if you're engraving or low relief carving, a carbide grinding bit in a PC router will work. at least awhile.

there are low volume mister nozzles around now that weren't when I tried it. if I were doing it again, I'd mount one as close to the bit as I could then use a wet vac to pick up the run off by hand.