PDA

View Full Version : I don't think my bot is the best tool for this.

knight_toolworks
05-30-2009, 12:34 AM
I have an emergency job to cut some 1/4" 6000 series aluminum. just simple rectangles about 4.5x2.5 I can cut that on my tablesaw faster. but the corners have a radius of about 1" or so that's the part I don't know how to do. then it needs a 1/4" 45 degree chamfer and that's easy to do on a router table.
they also want a price on 100, 500 and 1000
I don't know if I could handle that much.
I think it would be way too slow to cut them on the bot and they want them smooth.

joe
05-30-2009, 01:08 AM
Steve,

To some extent one must figure out if the job can fill in when you aren't using the bot for other jobs.

Like you, I'm not much of a production guy so I'd look to see what other services would charge for the same work. With polised edges, it won't come cheap.

Usually I price this kind of work way up there not expecting to get the job. I'm about 50/50 though. Sometimes you can't runn the business off.

As you know Belin makes for clean, bright edges and will last a long, long time.

rb99
05-30-2009, 01:21 AM
I would try to find someone with a press to cut and round the corners.

RB

knight_toolworks
05-30-2009, 01:40 AM
yes that's what I am thinking. but for tomorrow I only have 10 or so to do. it will give me an idea on how long it would take.
if I can get something decent done tomorrow it may be a good job to outsource. I just can't see cutting them out on the bot since aluminum cuts so slow.

rb99
05-30-2009, 02:42 AM
If there is enough cash in it maybe you could get a small hydraulic press and or an Ironworker?

RB

stevem
05-30-2009, 08:45 AM
Laser or water jet.

knight_toolworks
05-30-2009, 11:46 AM
laser does not cut aluminum. but for today any idea's on rounding the corners with other tools?

rb99
05-30-2009, 12:02 PM
A Small press and a die set.

RB

carlcnc
05-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Steve
that would take one heck of a press to round
those corners! and I would expect some "deformity"
how I would do it
1 fluet cutter,.05 per pass @ 90ipm[1.5sec]
cover the back of your sheet with transfer tape
rub it down well. then #90 spray glue to a piece of masonite as sacrificial ,let er rip!
step in .003and do a final pass @ .6ips[36min]
my cam simulation shows about 20min for 100 pcs!
good luck
Carl

carlcnc
05-30-2009, 12:41 PM
OOPS!
Steve,
my bad, make that 2hrs per 100, missed an entry
sorry
CArl

rb99
05-30-2009, 01:00 PM
http://www.bii1.com/ironworkers/ironworkers-punching.php

bleeth
05-30-2009, 05:30 PM
Cut em square on the table saw. Cut a template on the bot. Route the corners with a hand router while template clamped to product. Run the chamfer on router table.

joe
05-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Dave,

Why does this sound like labor?

Where's the towell so I can throw it in for him.

knight_toolworks
05-30-2009, 06:32 PM
I found out these are for belt buckles. s oI cut them on the tablesaw just freehanded the corners on the disc sander. beveled the edges with a chamfer bit that was a little rough so I had to sand the edges smooth.

bleeth
05-31-2009, 07:04 AM
Joe-When I go to the shop I tell my wife I'm going to work-but if it happens to be all SB related than I'm going to play! When I find the magic product that will be 100% produced on the bot with no additional labor required I know I'll be in heaven.

1/4" Aluminum for belt buckles, huh? Yahoo!! Now all you have to do is convince your client he needs a relief carved in them.

joe
05-31-2009, 07:36 AM
Dave,

We just don't know how Steve will feel when it's all over. I often ask my self, when a job has been completed, would I do it again or how could I have improved the process or product. I'm sure he will let us know his, rear view mirror, perspective.

I love creative work. But, Work for Work shake leaves me cold. For that reason, I've stayed away from production work. Thankfully some people love it. We need you folks, so keep it up. There's nothing wrong with good hard work.

bleeth
05-31-2009, 02:18 PM
In the past when I had repetitive jobs like that I would handle it by setting timing goals that required concentration to achieve without losing accuracy. Now I usually give it to one of the workers in the shop. I have a couple that love stuff like that because it doesn't tax their minds or skills.

knight_toolworks
06-01-2009, 02:01 AM
well it was not bad I only did 21 of them I did not charge enough as I was not planing on sanding the edges but they needed it. I did not sand the tops of all of them only this one.I just cut them on the tablesaw rounded the corners freehand and beveled them on the router table then sanded them smooth. no bots were harmed in the making of this.
they will get printed on with some new kind of printer that will let them anodize them with graphics. I have not seen any samples. wait here it is
http://www.digitalano.com/products.htm

I don't mind some production work it pays better then anything else. but I don't want to do it day in and out it is hard on the body.

myxpykalix
06-01-2009, 03:34 AM
especially if you're an "old coot"....

joe
06-01-2009, 06:12 AM
Thank you Jack,

I'm scratching my head, trying to figure this out.

"I did not charge enough"
"it pays better than anything else"

Now we know.

myxpykalix
06-01-2009, 06:29 AM
Joe,
Would you consider that quoted statement a "oxymoron" or the guy who didn't charge enough? (just kidding steve).

It seems that the jobs you quote the lowest give you the biggest problems and those people seem to complain he most.
It's a fine line between pricing yourself out of a job and working for $5./hr. I've done both!
But like steve says sometimes its easier and cheaper to do some jobs off the bot.

john_l
06-01-2009, 07:32 AM
Steve - What blade allows you to cut 1/4" aluminum on a table saw? thx

gundog
06-01-2009, 11:52 AM
I have 500-1000 parts a year cut on a waterjet for me. That is how I would do this I would then chamfer on a manual router table. The parts I have water jet are made from 5052 .250" Al. They sell me the cutout parts cheaper than I can buy the material for. My material purchase would only be a few sheets and this company buys large quantties. I could cut my parts on the Bot but for me it does not make sense,

Mike

knight_toolworks
06-01-2009, 12:41 PM
Sorry I did not write well this small job I did not charge enough. but if I did a large number I would charge far more.
I just used my 30t forrest blade but if I had to saw a bunch I would get a non ferrous metal cutting blade.
if they want more I would look into having them cut some other way. I did not supply the material but it may cost less as you have said to get them cut.
it takes more time to clean up the edges then anything else.

joe
06-01-2009, 01:48 PM
O, the learning curve. It happens each time I take on an unfamiliar project material.

My next door neighbor, Merrles Welding has an Iron Worker and said he'd shear and radius for approx $4.00 each.