PDA

View Full Version : Automating your 'Bot

dubliner
12-27-2007, 05:10 PM
I know about the device to control your spindle from your screen(RS 485), but are there other possibliities? An Aussie has a laser corner finder & a touch screen paired with a gaming handsethttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc-9gTFj-y4&eurl=http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48752 I saw Bradys Logitech game controller too, does anybody have any neat gadgets they are using?

knight_toolworks
12-28-2007, 11:46 AM
now thats cool.

3imoh
12-28-2007, 02:13 PM
That is a nice setup.

I have used the logitech controller in the past, but after it had a couple of wireless hicups, I lost confidence in it and stopped messing with it. I found a really tiny (wired) usb keyboard that I have connected along with my regular keyboard. I have this on a long cord that lets me take it over to the machine. I would like to put a usb hub under the machine to get the wire out of the way and maybe have one of these at either end at some point. Here is a link to the keyboard if anyone else is interested:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1819035&CatId=533

-Howie

john_l
12-28-2007, 04:54 PM
I'm still in the process of searching and reading through all of the Logitech mentions but was wondering if anyone else had a current update on that? ... and thanks Howie.

zeykr
12-28-2007, 07:19 PM
I dropped my logitech and broke it and looking for a replacement on ebay right now - can't live with out it!

If you zero at center of a part or away from the bottom left corner of your machine, it's great!

dubliner
12-29-2007, 11:22 AM
Can you use other brands of game controller - I have 2 unused Gamecube units & my son got a Wii for Xmas, so they'll sit in the box forever.

john_l
12-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Neville, I've not done it yet but the way I read about this is .. the Logitech controller is a PC game controller. Most computer games can be played on a computer without using a controller at all.. just by using the keyboard keys (left and right arrows, up down, etc).

The Logitech controller plugs into the usb port and emulates keyboard presses (just like if you pressed the keyboard keys). The controller buttons are also programmable.. so you can change the buttons to do most any keypress you need.

The Gamecube stuff is likely for a Gamecube unit only, not a PC.

Hope that helps.

dubliner
12-29-2007, 04:06 PM
Yes thanks John, I think I'll try a Logitech then.

dingwall
12-29-2007, 05:59 PM
I use this keyboard. It works great.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1472243

bleeth
12-29-2007, 06:22 PM
I can't speak for it personally but here is another suggestion from someone with experience:

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383

mitch_prest
12-29-2007, 07:01 PM
I followed that URL to take a look and of course wandered off to look at other things.. I found this interesting item .. has anyone seen it or heard anything about it.. a toolchanger for a PC
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371

mitch

dubliner
12-29-2007, 07:30 PM
well in that case I'm getting one of these with a laser eyepiece for 00 location. It even has reverse for climb cutting :-), but seriously though, I would like to automate as many functions as are wise. I'm getting tired walking around the table.

john_l
12-29-2007, 07:57 PM
That's just taking it away right there Neville. You're gonna need a helmet and a big comfy chair with a cup holder if you do that setup.

I picked up the wired version of the logitech and a USB extender cable on sale at best buy for about $30 this evening. I'll see what this is all about pretty soon here.

scottcox
12-30-2007, 08:19 AM
Neville, I also have the wireless logitech rumblepad. It's a real time saver.

>I'm getting tired walking around the table.

Exactly where this helps. I leave mine on the table (outside of the cut range of course) and use it for positioning the gantry or bit as I work. I still use the keyboard frequently, but (for example) z heights can be dialed in with your eyes right at the bit, even using the "fixed" function from the remote.

I still find it necessary to see the PC screen as I use mine, so I have my PC where I can see the screen from anywhere around the table.

- I once asked Bill Young about "driving" the shopbot with a joystick.

Bill, are you seeing what Neville wants to do?! ;-)

bill.young
12-30-2007, 08:53 AM
I couldn't get past the "comfy chair with a cup holder" part!

bill.young
12-30-2007, 09:09 AM
Hey Scott,

We haven't added a joystick interface to the Control Software (yet at least), but can you map the various parts of a Logitech Joystick to the buttons on the keyboard, the way you do with some of the gamepads? If so then you should be able to map the joystick to the arrow keys and drive the ShopBot all around. There's also a lot of development work being done in the Linux community on gaming and game controls, and you might be able to find info on how the joystick commands and interfaces work there.

One quick note about wireless controllers including wireless keyboards. Be careful if you get out of range when you're moving the tool around with them. In some cases the computer doesn't get the message to stop moving and thinks the key or button is still pressed and keeps on moving...could be a nasty surprise!

Bill

john_l
12-30-2007, 09:49 AM
Bill, You touched on my main worry about a "wireless anything" on the bot computer. I hooked up my wired version of the controller, used the profile previously posted by Brady, and it's just fantabulous. I really like this.

Another tip that might be relevant.. I have inadvertantly had game controllers laying upside down or on a table with something on top of it
and just barely touching one of the buttons or joysticks (making a button press) when I started the software. That seemingly also gave screwy results like a stuck key. A restart makes everything all fine but I dont want stuck keys on the bot computer.

scottcox
12-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Bill,

I do "drive" it with the buttons on the remote, one direction at a time. But as we discussed at the maker faire, there's no way to really "freehand" with it, moving multiple axes simultaneously.

That may open the door for people with computer phobias.

Just my 2cent ideas.

-Scott

john_l
01-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Neville,

I was in Walmart the other day and noticed something... They do sell a converter for connecting GameCube controllers to a PC. I don't know if the software it comes with is going to be what you need so check it out carefully.

If they don't have any on the shelf where they are supposed to be ... look behind the Cherios, that's where I hid it for you.

daniel
01-07-2008, 11:37 PM
It would be really cool to be able to freehand with the bot. I saw a lady on Oprah once who was killer with an etch a scetch. I wonder if she could make a picture on a bot?

scottcox
01-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Alright! Another vote for freehanding!

Catch that, Bill? ;-)

bill.young
01-08-2008, 03:44 PM
yep

srwtlc
01-08-2008, 05:00 PM
MPG or manual pulse generation would be nice. Then you could use one of what Dave mentioned above.