PDA

View Full Version : Vectric Aspire Software

gerryv
10-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Does anyone have detailed info on Vectric's newly announced Aspire software?

harryball
10-18-2008, 08:53 AM
It's Awsome. Does 3D work and is easy to use. Offers the functionality of VCPro while adding powerful 3D tools. As soon as I have the cash, I'm getting my copy.

/RB

gerryv
10-18-2008, 09:21 AM
I wonder if it's pretty much VCarve Pro and Cut-3D pulled into one or if it offers something significantly more? Maybe full blown 3D 4th axis rotary capability rather than 2 & 4 sided, that would be really nice.

bill2
10-18-2008, 09:31 AM
This is the first I have herd of it where do you find out about it or see this?
Bill.

jerry_stanek
10-18-2008, 09:42 AM
Tony demoed it at John Forney,s camp Shopbot. It goes beyond V carve pro and Cut-3d. With the split screen It is nice to see what the results are as you do them.

ron_moorehead
10-18-2008, 09:44 AM
I got my copy at the Jamboree. It was the first time the software was available. It comes on a DVD with 6 hours of training videos and full manual. Has the same functions as VCarve pro, but with full 3D functions to create and edit 3d objects and make tools paths. It updates the 3D image in real time as you work in the 2D work area. It does not have 4th axis functions, but Scott should use how to do 4th axis work with it. I thought it was great software, and I normally don’t buy first generation software.

ron_moorehead
10-18-2008, 09:46 AM
By the way is's so new I am still waiting for my software key to install the software.

bill1
10-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Well hopefully Tony will send us an email announcing the new software.

alister
10-18-2008, 10:33 AM
What is the price?

Brian Moran
10-18-2008, 10:51 AM
We will be posting full details on Aspire on our website very shortly. Unfortunately we didnt get the web site complete in time for the Jamboree, but we will be posting full details shortly and emailing all our existing customers.

Sorry for the delay on the website, but the Jamboree was an immovable deadline for the launch so we had to go with it even though the website was not ready.

I'm out in Austin for the Maker Faire following the jamboree, so might not be able to post updates untill I get back to the UK on Tuesday.

Brian

cabnet636
10-18-2008, 12:43 PM
brian, i am so looking forward to it, i have no doubt it will be a graet addition for us all!!

jim

pfulghum
10-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Does anybody have it?
Cost?
Any discount for us PartWorks/PartWorks3d folks?

-- pat

Brady Watson
10-18-2008, 03:36 PM

"Brian Moran and James Booth introduced amazing new 3D sculpting and modeling software from Vectric called Aspire. Aspire is a CAD/CAM program for those wanting to create relief carvings. It combines incredible features, a new ease or use for 3D software, and a remarkable low price. It comes with 50 pieces of 3D clip art from James' VectorArt-3D collection. Aspire will be priced at $2,000. But will have an introductory price of $1,750 until the end of the year. For owners or PartWorks or V-CarvePro the introductory price will be $900. (Available today from ShopBot for PartWorks owners.) "

This is a fantastic program and a tremendous value for the asking price. It should have enough horsepower and flexibility for the majority of users out there.

-B

beacon14
10-18-2008, 03:46 PM
Tony's demo at John Forney's camp had half of us with jaws touching the floor and the other half reaching for the checkbook...it is nothing short of amazing. You can start with a 2D outline and create a full 3D model with interactive sculpting tools.

I think Vectric has done it again.

jamesgilliam
10-18-2008, 10:48 PM
While James Booth was making his closing remarks about the Aspire Software I was writing the check. From what I can see from it so far, and I have not really had a good chance to play with it yet, it is the equal of ArtCam, and alot more affordable. It actually has some features already in it that will not be in AC until it's next release. My hat is off to all the people at Vectric for creating this software, Way to go Guys!!!!!

cabnet636
10-19-2008, 12:03 PM
this is really lit up on vectric

http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3875

kivimagi
10-19-2008, 09:48 PM
Anyone know if this piece of software is going to include the nesting module? They estimated they'd have nesting available by the end of october, but not sure if its in aspire, or if they maintain vcarvepro as well.

Regards,

mims
10-19-2008, 09:59 PM
A message in the Vectric forum made it sound like whatever improvements are made in VcarvePro 5 will be updated into Aspire as well.

oscarg1971
10-19-2008, 10:21 PM
I think the nesting module will be in VCP5 and also in Aspire with the next software update. -Oscar

hespj
10-20-2008, 05:56 AM
Well they certainly seem very keen on it over on the Vectric forum, but I wonder just how justified this enthusiasm is given the price ($2000). I'm sure it's a very good piece of software, and it looks like ease of use paramount, but am I missing something here - I know it's a different beast, but how does it shape up to, say, Rhino ($800) plus RhinoCam ($1000)?

My guess is - nowhere near as capable, but gets results much faster.

robtown
10-20-2008, 08:25 AM
I don't think Rhino vs. Aspire is a good comparison, it looks like Aspire is meant to go after the ArtCam crowd...

Based on my experience with Vcarve pro, if it's as capable and intuitive as VCP, then I think that's an excellent price point.

mikek
10-20-2008, 09:09 AM
Concur with Rob on Rhino comparison. Aspire is not a CAD program. However, it is probably THE MOST SIGNIFICANT PIECE OF SOFTWARE for ShopBot owners to date. It will open doors to many many custom creations by users for their customers. This was not possible until now at this price point with the ease of use of VCP. It is very impressive and at a price point that almost all can easily justify given it's capability. If you like PartWorks/VCP you will LOVE Aspire! The initial package is absolutly the best deal on the market today. Very, Very Impressive. Thanks Brian and James (and team) for a great introduction at the Jamboree.

cutitout
10-20-2008, 09:13 AM
I never understand software pricing -- looks like to me if one wished to have the market share they would lower the price. If this software was $500 how many more copies would they sale? if 4 copies at $500 would be the same as 1 at $2000 but they have 4 users that can contribute to the collective knowledge and help "sale" more copies. I understand they need to make a living also.

The product can be duplicated at very low cost, and very easy -- this also this also opens the door for pirates. so they add protection and I bet they pay a large amount of the $2k in each copy to keep it from becoming copied.

Look at the gaming industry (I know we are small compared to its volume) could you imagine games for the Xbox, PS3, Wii going for thousands of dollars? but hundreds of millions of dollars went in to making them.

I understand I.P. and I will buy software when it speeds production. but I would hit a $500 justification several times before I would ever hit a $2000..

Just my 2 cents -- by the way where did the cent mark go, you know the c with a line through it?

hespj
10-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Rob, Mike, I only compared it to Rhino/RhinoCam because that's what I use and it's approx the same price. Actually, Aspire costs more. For this extra cost can it do more, or does it do less but do it faster and easier? Or maybe it does something completely different?

I would be interested in it if it was able to do something interesting which I wanted in ten minutes instead of two hours.

I met Tony and Brian early on in Vectric's career, and like both them and their software, and I wish them all success, but I got a bit wary when reading the cheerleading going on on the Vectric forum. I've seen a lot of "THE MOST SIGNIFICANT PIECE OF SOFTWARE for ShopBot owners to date" type comments without an explanantion why it is. I hope nobody forks out $2000 in a fit of enthusiasm only to find it's not for them.

No doubt the trial version will reveal all.

John

gerald_martin
10-20-2008, 10:00 AM
Hello everyone:

Will the Aspire software use the .vcp file extension? so that .vcp files created with SB partworks would open in the program? What about backward compatibility? As in, could a file created in Aspire be opened and previewed or toolpaths created in PartWorks even if the 3d sculpture could not be edited?

Gerald

billp
10-20-2008, 10:10 AM
Sometimes you have to get past the initial pricing,and look at the value of software in terms of how much time ,and money it can save you. This applies not only to the creation of "new" work but also in it's ability to "re-cycle" other files which have been unusable for owners in the past.
An example would be the 20,000+ free 3D files which have been posted on the "Shopbot CNC resource list"
(http://www.shopbottools.com/resourcelist.htm) for a few years.
Many of these files were roughly done, and in some cases highly triangulated.This meant that while you could cut them the resulting work would require a LOT of sanding,touch up, etc.
Using Aspire it is very easy to "salvage"these pieces with the on board 3D tools,and turn them into components that will save anyone hours of computer time.
It's highly unlikely that just ONE program will fit everyone's needs, as they all have strengths in different areas. But for someone who wants to join in the process of creating something unique
we have to view each software package the same way we choose our router bits; ease of use, longevity, and cleanliness of cuts...

mccoy178
10-20-2008, 10:52 AM
The price of this software is well worth the investment. The competition, which they wrote long ago, is $8500! And, Aspire is further advanced then that. If you can use this type of software, you understand how great this is with the price. If you don't understand the importance of the software, then I can understand the questioning.

jamesgilliam
10-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Having had our machine for seven plus years Jo-Anne and I had been looking at ArtCam for that length of time, but could not justify the price. Now with Aspire on the market, and the price of $900 for people that have any of the Vectric software, it was a dream made into a reality. Even at the 2k price we would have bought it. If you have ever had a model made for exclusive use it can be costly, both for you and the end customer. With Aspire we can now do it ourselves. Please don't get me wrong, some models I will still have done by James Booth just because of the quality of work he does, and I will continue to buy them from his site, there is no use trying to recreate the wheel again. With the amount of free 3D models out there Aspire gives us the ability to take them and modify them to fit our needs with relative ease.

gene
10-20-2008, 12:47 PM
From what i understand aspire is 3D modeling software that allows you to make a 3 D model from a 2d design and machine the design into a 3 D piece. As an upgrade to V C P @ 900.00 cost. It sure beats the heck out of Artcam @ 8500.00

mims
10-20-2008, 12:52 PM
It would be a mistake to compare this program to Rhino.. it's much more suited to comparison to Enroute/Artcam/Type3. All these do fast mesh-based relief creation and editing. Rhino is predominantly a NURBS modeling program. Not sure if Aspire will do 1 and 2 line sweeps, revolves, etc... or be able to import and toolpath STLs and other 3d models from other programs (like the other programs can do). That could be one difference. The 3d puffing and relief creation is really the most important thing (it is a feature that is only available on the PRO version of each of the previously mention programs... they range from $7000-$10000, depending on if they require training $$$$ or not).

Rhino is a different beast altogether. It's possible, but it would take someone quite awhile to model a decorative, organic flourish with Rhino, but you can design a ship's hull or other complex surfaces in no time at all.

Aspire will be smart not to require expensive training or expensive 'service subscriptions' that make you pay to even get service updates, etc.

cabnet636
10-20-2008, 01:06 PM
eric, aspire is being reported to import and export .stl though rotation (4rth axis) is not

as far as support the forum is populated with end users and beta testers who are teaching it to us and we do not even have it yet!!

there are 117 post of Q & A here since yesterday am

jim mcgrew

http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3875

gerryv
10-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Referring to Eric's post, I'm not sure what the line sweeps, revolves, etc. are but I seem to recall that some newer polygon based programs allow one to set higher "sub-division" counts when smoother surfaces are required i.e. More polygons to process but, nonetheless, smoother arcs and complex curves. Does anyone know if this capability is built into Aspire, or perhaps another way to accomplish same? I'm wondering if that's what Bill was alluding to in his post #1361 above?

mims
10-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Hi Gerald, here is an example of a 2 rail sweep in Rhino: http://www.rhino3d.com/4/help/getting_started/intro_028_sweep2.htm

I know the other 3 can all do similar things to create geometry, though Rhino beats them all in this area. In my opinion, even if Aspire was just 3d relief puffing and sculpting (along with everything Vcarve already offers), it would be well worth every penny.

dubliner
10-20-2008, 02:50 PM
It will do 2 rail sweeps. Its somewhere between Carvewrights Designer & Artcam Pro i.e. Ease of use with powerful tools. It will blow you away.

hespj
10-20-2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks Eric, that throws a little more light on the subject. Sounds like including RhinoArt in the comparison would be fairer, but that adds up to $2100, and still might not be as good value as Aspire?

http://www.mecsoft.com/Mec/Gallery/rhinoart.html

I think part of my surprise in the amount of interest in Aspire is that I'd never really given much thought to what these 2.5D programs could do for me. I must have a closer look at both Aspire and RhinoArt to see if I could make use of them. As a Vcarve Pro owner it's not as if it'll actually cost the $2000 I've been quoting :-) (Is it $900 for Aspire vs $500 for RhinoArt?)

cabnet636
10-20-2008, 03:25 PM
From the Shopbot Jamboree

"Brian Moran and James Booth introduced amazing new 3D sculpting and modeling software from Vectric called Aspire. Aspire is a CAD/CAM program for those wanting to create relief carvings. It combines incredible features, a new ease or use for 3D software, and a remarkable low price. It comes with 50 pieces of 3D clip art from James' VectorArt-3D collection. Aspire will be priced at $2,000. But will have an introductory price of $1,750 until the end of the year. For owners or PartWorks or V-CarvePro the introductory price will be $900. (Available today from ShopBot for PartWorks owners.)"

cabnet636
10-21-2008, 07:45 AM
forum admin, tony mac has aked that we remove this last post of mine untill they are ready to post more info

please remove my last post

jim mcgrew

Forum Admin
10-21-2008, 09:27 AM
done

erik_f
10-21-2008, 10:12 AM
I have Visual Mill version 6 (which is the same as the cam part of RhinoCAM as far as I know). It is powerful software, but I find myself more often than not designing in Rhino and then using Partworks to do my CAM work. I find Partworks much easier and faster. I'm talking mostly about 2 and 2.5D work here as I have yet to master Rhino's 3d. Just my 2 cents.
Erik

hespj
10-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Erik, I think "easier and faster" are the key words there. And of course, it's what a person's used to using. No one would dispute that VisualMill is a more powerful program than Partworks, but the more versatile the program the harder it is to master.

mims
10-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Rhinocam really shines because you don't have to constantly go in and out of Rhino.. It's so easy to draft curves/edit in Rhino, and it's a big plus to be able to make edits and instantly update your toolpaths. One thing Rhinocam has that Vcarve doesn't is the ability to engrave on 3d lines. Imagine engraving with a big ball nose on a horizontal helix, etc. Or use it to profile a shape like a skateboard that's bends up at each end, the profile moves in Z axis as well using this method. Vcarve simulations have material selection which is nice. I wish Mecsoft would add that.

Anyways, sorry to get you in trouble Jim about that link... ;-) Aspire looks awesome though!!

hespj
10-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Note to self. Don't post in a hurry. That post of mine above looks like I'm suggesting that Erik should get to grips with Visual Mill. I'm just thinking out loud that Aspire will be similar to the Partworks/VisualMill comparison - great results quickly, but not as versatile.

erik_f
10-21-2008, 02:50 PM
I understood what you were getting at.

jamesb
10-21-2008, 04:46 PM
It's good to see so much interest in Aspire. We had fun showing it at the Jamboree and of course it was great seeing ShopBot friends both new and old. I am sure that the guys at Vectric will have more official information about it soon. I thought it might help if I tried to offer a little more info here.

Regarding comparisons to other software, I would certainly say that it is worth waiting to see exactly how this works rather than comparing to others. While the finished result may be similar to some software the way you get there is a new approach for this style of modelling. The 3D part of the software uses a component based approach. It would be too much to try and explain this here, but its reasonable to say it does give you a lot of flexibility when laying out and editing your 3D design as each piece can remain as a seperate entity (for moving, scaling, coloring etc.etc.). This is coupled with a nice set of modelling tools and interactive sculpting which gives you the ability to merge and blend shapes with the mouse. The sculpting tools are a key difference for making artistic and decorative products compared to what you can do in most CAD programs.

I think Aspire is particularly nice for SB owners who run PartWorks as it shares the same interface and much of the 2D vector tools and 2D and 2.5D toolpath options. Many of these are actually used to control the 3D entities too! So if you are competent with PartWorks this will be a big help when working with Aspire. Even discounting the flexibility of the software's modelling just the ability to work with existing designs (such as clipart from Vector Art 3D) is great (I am biased to that area of use...)

The photos that Bill Palumbo posted on the camp flickr pages show a number of parts made with Aspire: http://www.flickr.com/photos/campshopbot/ - those labelled Oscar_Garcia 1 to 6 were all created in Aspire and cut on Oscar's Buddy BT-48 (thanks Oscar!) The House sign and grapes are done using a combination of VA3D clipart and modelling tools in the software. The Eagle head, Shell Flourish, Rosette and Lioness were exclusively modelled from 2D Vectors or scanned images using the functions within Aspire.

There will I am sure be much more info in the next day or two but I would say (despite the hype) that this is a significant software event for SB owners and users who have an interest in this type of decorative/artistic work.

Hope this helps and does not add to the confusion...

Cheers,
James

GlenP
10-21-2008, 09:59 PM
I got a chance to see the video before the links were removed and I can't wait for it to come out. Feel like a kid a christmas waiting for my gift.
From the look of the video and info so far great job vectric. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

robtown
10-22-2008, 07:01 AM
Editing in a "stack", as James explains it, makes it easier to go back and change things while you're working. This is how most 3d modelers work. It's somewhat akin to using layers in Photoshop to create a composition, you can go in and make changes on seperate layers and it will change your overall composition.

I have very little experience with ArtCAM so I don't know if it has this feature or not.

What I would like to see is the ability to draw lines directly on top of my 3d model or relief.

joewino
10-22-2008, 08:30 AM
Just to add my two cents:

Anything that James Booth is involved with is going to be a quality product. He's just good.

Viewing the "unvieling" at the Jamboree was exciting. Aspire appears to be very similar to ArtCam, but maybe a little more user friendly. Of course, James made it look easy...he developed it and knows it inside out.

Aspire seems to be an easy solution to those that want to do 3D work...and the price is also easy on the pocket-book, considering the cost of comparable software, like Enroute and ArtCam.

I don't think that Aspire will slice 3D artwork for routing really deep pieces, like ArtCam and Enroute are capable of doing.

By the way, I have ArtCam Pro 2008 and don't plan on throwing it in the trash...just admiring what Mr. Booth has done.

jsfrost
10-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Like Raymond, I have ACP although my version is older, and I can not justify an upgrade or maintenance fee given the price and my mostly hobby use.

I can have Aspire for $900 now or much more later. What does Aspire offer that ACP does not? I could try a trial version, but I can't motivate myself to spend hours refining projects that I can not save and cut.

harryball
10-22-2008, 02:45 PM
I think as the product rolls on out and demo versions become available there will be much more information about its scope and how it compares to other software. If you can afford and own ArtCam that's great, it will still have a wider range of functions than Aspire for the moment. For those of us that can't justify ArtCam, Aspire is a terrific option to get us some 3D tools as well as a powerful CAD/CAM package.

I can't wait to get my copy and start working with it. From what I've seen is has all the features (plus some) of VCPro as well as some powerful 3D capabilities. All of this is compounded by the easy to use interface and CNC intuitive design tools. I suspect many of us will find the Aspire features more than sufficient to meet our needs.

/RB

cabnet636
10-22-2008, 04:45 PM
the site is up!!

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/aspire/aspire_features.html

Brian Moran
10-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Jim Frost wrote ...
quote:I could try a trial version, but I can't motivate myself to spend hours refining projects that I can not save and cut.

We don't have a trial version of Aspire ready just yet. When the trial is available, although you wont be able to create toolpaths, you will be able to save the project and load it into a full version of Aspire running on the same computer if you decide to purchase the full version.

Brian

signtist
10-22-2008, 06:28 PM
WOW. . . . .I'm impressed!
This is what I've been waiting for!
I'll have to scrape up money while it's at $900.

porscheman
10-22-2008, 06:53 PM
Brian,

If PartWorks owners want to upgrade to Aspire, will we do that through ShopBot (via some future link on the ShopBot site), or can that be done through the Vectric website? I'm guessing it's the former, but wanted to check....

The software looks great and the new website looks good as well. I wish you great success with this new package!

John

gene
10-23-2008, 12:57 AM
Brian ,
If you want to machine something that requires slicing , will this do it? Allow you to machine layers and assemble them into a finished project?

Brian Moran
10-23-2008, 04:23 AM
John wrote ...
quote:If PartWorks owners want to upgrade to Aspire, will we do that through ShopBot (via some future link on the ShopBot site), or can that be done through the Vectric website? I'm guessing it's the former, but wanted to check....
Hi John,
PartWorks customers need to upgrade via ShopBot. ShopBot are currently taking orders via the phone even if the website has not yet been updated.

Gene wrote ...
quote:
Brian ,
If you want to machine something that requires slicing , will this do it? Allow you to machine layers and assemble them into a finished project?

Hi Gene,
The slicing feature just missed the first release, but I do have it working now in the development version so it is coming and it is very cool! It will automatically slice the model into seperate components to match your material thickness which you can then manually nest in your sheet. Aspire purchasers will receive all new releases for 12 months after purchase so every one will receive this as soon as it is released - along with all the new features that are being developed for VCarve Pro 5 / PartWorks 2 when they are released.

Brian

mikeacg
10-23-2008, 06:10 AM
If Aspire will let you export in STL, couldn't you just slice it in Partworks3D? Might be a workaround solution until Aspire includes it...

I ordered my copy on Tuesday! Can't wait!!!!

Mike

hespj
10-23-2008, 06:34 AM
Ooooh! That is good. Just watched the video. A finished model and set of toolpaths in 24 minutes, that's got to be good.

cabindoors
10-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Brian,

Could you please put a link to your Aspire video so that we could download it quicker and view it later? My modem will take forever to download a 30 minute video. Your VCPro videos are done this way.

Tom

gerryv
10-23-2008, 11:08 AM
By way of example, could I carve a side view of something like a duck and then flip/mirror/reverse ??? the file so that I could match the two sides up to make a whole duck?

Any thoughts on how I can keep my duck still while I scan/probe it would be welcomed as well :-)

randy
10-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Gerald, I am surprised you do not know the purpose of "pin feathers".

cabnet636
10-23-2008, 02:59 PM
down here we usually just shoot em!!

jeffreymcgrew
10-23-2008, 05:08 PM
I can't recommend this package enough, especially for those who always wanted to get more into 3D but didn't want to take the plunge into learning a full 3D program.

We were in on the beta, and have been using this software for a few months now, and it's just awesome. We used to do our more complex 3D work in Blender, and it took four times longer even though Blender is more 'powerful' than this app. I've used the beta on a job or two and just cranked out stuff in no time at all that would have taken me a lot longer before.

It's also made our 3D routing go a lot faster, for we're able to be a lot smarter about the toolpaths then just rastering the whole thing out ala Partworks3D.

Just my two cents. We're really jazzed about this!

Brian Moran
10-24-2008, 08:34 AM
Tom wrote,
quote:
Could you please put a link to your Aspire video so that we could download it quicker and view it later? My modem will take forever to download a 30 minute video. Your VCPro videos are done this way.

Hi Tom,

We will look at doing this once we get a bit of a breathing space, but the Aspire videos are much larger than the VCarve Pro ones.
We are working on getting the Aspire overview videos up at the moment to support the trial version, but again these will be embeded flash movies initially.

Brian

gerryv
10-24-2008, 09:04 AM
From Vectric's Website:

"Customers will receive all new versions of the software product(s) purchased Free of Charge for the 12 months. Aspire customers are guaranteed to receive version 2.0 free of charge when its released."

That's excellent news. Is it possible to verify whether this applies to those purchased through Shopbot as well?

Thanks much,
Gerry

cabnet636
10-24-2008, 09:18 AM
as they released the software to the shopbot community first! i am sure all are equal in vectrics world

jim

Brian Moran
10-24-2008, 12:54 PM
Hi,

People purchasing Aspire through ShopBot are entitled to exactly the same benefits as anyone purchasing directly from Vectric. If you have PartWorks or bought VCarve Pro from ShopBot you should also upgrade via ShopBot.

Brian

mikeacg
10-24-2008, 02:31 PM
My package was waiting for me when I got home from work last night. I didn't sleep until I watched every one of the tutorials - and then I had trouble sleeping, thinking about all the things I was going to try over the weekend! Absolutely the best thing I have ever seen in 3D!

Mike

cabnet636
10-24-2008, 02:34 PM
micheal, did you order it from the shopbot jamboree or vectric?

jim

Brian Moran
10-24-2008, 05:35 PM
We have posted a trial version of Aspire for people who want to have a play, and we have also posted 8 of James Booth's overview videos and one of his full tutorial videos.

The DVD for Aspire contains another 13 or so of the tutorial videos along with the associated files, but to get the data up on the web we have had to reduce the quality of the videos substantially to get the file sizes down.

Brian

harryball
10-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks Brian, already downloading.

mikeacg
10-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Jim,

I picked up my 48" Buddy (with 12' PowerStick option) at the ShopBot plant the Saturday before they introduced Aspire at the Jamboree. Once I saw what the program could do, I had to have it! I got my copy from Dianne at ShopBot. The machine was awesome enough but now I am even amazing myself!

Mike

cabnet636
10-24-2008, 09:30 PM
demo is here

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/products/download.htm

harryball
10-25-2008, 01:28 PM
WOW... just WOW. I've been playing with the demo and it appears to be fully functional and can save .crv3d files, it just can't save toolpaths. I've already been able to import a photo of my daughter and create a decent 3D rendering. I'm still rough around the edges but learning rapidly.

Easy to use, check!
Simple to understand, check!
Powerful enough to produce good results, check!

If you are already using VCPro or PartWorks, you'll feel right at home with the tools and interface. You can use Aspire while completely ignoring the new tools and it will feel just like VCPro. When you are ready, just use each new tool as you need it.

Hat's off to you guys at Vectric, GREAT JOB!

/RB

woodworx
10-30-2008, 12:56 PM
You should read ArtCAM's forum on this issue. It is getting down right dangerous!

gene
10-31-2008, 12:23 AM
Please post a link, What did you expect when the upgrade is about 1 10th the price of artcam.
I have wanted this type of software for a few years now but I could NOT justify the 7500 or 8500 dollars for a new toy to play with . 900 I can justify this, and will be ordering as soon as i get caught up so i can learn it .

chiloquinruss
10-31-2008, 03:30 AM
'You should read ArtCAM's forum on this issue. It is getting down right dangerous!' Holy mackeral! I'm sure glad this forum doesn't treat everybody like those folks! My goodness. I have read posts on here from all kinds of cnc owners and all have been most respectful of the the forum. But those folks on the other forum have a burr under their saddle for sure! WOW, you couldn't get me to try ArtCam now if they were GIVING it away! Russ

cabnet636
10-31-2008, 05:11 AM
"sometimes people just need a good lettin alone"

jim

mikeacg
10-31-2008, 06:50 AM
Here's a sample of the first thing I designed in Aspire the day after it hit my mailbox. I cut it out of cedar (that's all I could find in the shop in a hurry) and it was also the first thing I ran on my brand-new 48" Buddy. I can't believe how easy Aspire is to use!

Mike

cabnet636
10-31-2008, 07:01 AM
now thats what i call a short learning curve!!!

impressive and says a lot for both shopbot and aspire!

jim

dubliner
10-31-2008, 04:21 PM
A Brian Moran/James Booth autographed copy of Aspire sold on Ebay today for $8300 - TRUTH or BLARNEY!! - You decide :-)Its not often Coders get asked to sign anything, save a Non-compete clause. Great work Lads!

Brian Moran
10-31-2008, 05:33 PM
quote:
A Brian Moran/James Booth autographed copy of Aspire sold on Ebay today for $8300 - TRUTH or BLARNEY!! - You decide :-)Its not often Coders get asked to sign anything, save a Non-compete clause. Great work Lads!

That gave me a laugh! - it was really cool meeting up in Austin Neville, say thanks again to Paige for the lift back to the hotel!

Brian

P.S not sure James is going to be happy being refered to as a coder!

jacques
10-31-2008, 06:36 PM
Hi, just try the demo ... FANTASTIC ...

Many Thanks to the brillant peoples out there.

JG

dubliner
10-31-2008, 08:23 PM
James sorry in advance - I was just following the "Brevity & Wit" rule. It was a blast having you out to the house. Next year Brian, you'll be fit enough to climb in those rafters :-), Paige says thanks too!

randy
11-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Neville,

My copy is also signed by Mark. Does that increase or decrease the E-Bay value? And what if I am able to get Tony to sign it when I go to Birmingham in February? Will I be able to afford a fully loaded PRS Alpha with ATC?

You don't have to be Irish to sling the Blarney!

jamesb
11-01-2008, 04:17 PM
Neville, I thought you called me a codger... I obviously don't understand the Irish accent in your typing

dray
11-02-2008, 05:44 PM
HAHA... Just read the artcam forums. OMG, know what a "fanboy" is?

Its funny if someone paid the $8k for artcam they are going to be pissed off.

Myself.. I wont pay the 2k for this one either.

Its funny.. Maybe 10% of shopbotters will shell out the $2k for this product. If the product was at $500 I think there would be about 50% immediate buyers and another 20% over the next year.

Anyways, competition is good for all businesses.

Brian Moran
11-07-2008, 01:28 PM
James has recorded an excellent new video that shows the complete process of designing and machining a dimensional sign using many of the features available in Aspire.

We have replaced the original Aspire overview video (which was rather disjointed), and this new one is now available to view off the Vectric web site.

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/aspire/aspire_index.html

Towards the bottom of the page - 'Quick Overerview of Aspire' - assuming that 20 minutes can be considered quick ...

Brian

cabnet636
11-15-2008, 09:54 AM
this is way to cool to go un noticed on shopbots forum

jim

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4142

foampro
11-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Jim,

Thanks for adding the link to the Shopbot Forum. We had a great time building this sign. It was a crash course on Aspire. Visit our website to see more cool signs made from Styrofoam.

Glen
http://www.innovativefoam.com