PDA

View Full Version : Program recommendations?

myxpykalix
04-03-2009, 02:47 AM
I'm looking for names of programs that will do a sort of material estimation based on inputs by the user.
For example I have a 42'X22' basement with 9' ceilings that i want to build out into an apartment and need to calculate how many 2x4's I need, how much sheetrock for walls and ceiling, carpeting, ect. and I have seen these type of estimator programs around. I have always done this by just drawing it out and putting pencil to paper.
I'm not needing anything that shows 3d representations and I just have a mental block in remembering what it was I saw in the past.

khalid
04-03-2009, 03:46 AM
A rough estimate can be with following formula.. Considering the inner side of room without roof.

Total Sheet Required= (2H(L+W))/(l x w)

H: Height of room
L: Length of room
W: Width of room

l: length of sheet
w: width of sheet

The sheet cann't be less than that...

ken_rychlik
04-03-2009, 07:25 AM
Excel is pretty easy for that kind of stuff

myxpykalix
04-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Khalid with his math says what?

dana_swift
04-03-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm with kenneth, start using Excel. The trick is to realize when you have outgrown it.

After working with Excel you will benefit from switching to VB, or C#. Those have been good choices for a lot of people. Not too tough to learn, but it does require some time.

You clearly understand the algebra, and that is where to start!

Good luck

D

Gary Campbell
04-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Jack...
Look at the offspawns of Chief Architect. These have been marketed as 3D Home Architect and Better Homes and Gardens under different names.

Some of these are very inexpensive for a couple versions back. If you draw a wall... and it is spec'ed out properly, it will print out a material list for that wall. etc, etc.

As with any computer generated estimating program, the output has proportional value to the time spent during setup.
Gary