PDA

View Full Version : Text to braille conversion

srwtlc
02-07-2002, 01:20 PM
Does anyone know of any text to braille conversion software that would help to make braille signs?

billp
02-07-2002, 01:49 PM
Scott, I believe that can be done in the Casmate Pro software. I think it lets you "punch"or "emboss" the braille letters..

garbob
02-08-2002, 10:12 AM
Here is a site that specializes in braille software.

http://www.duxburysystems.com/products.asp

imserv@imsrv.com
02-08-2002, 06:01 PM
Here is a link to the Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired. They have links to several Braille fonts. One of the best sources I have found.

http://www.tsbvi.edu/Education/fonts.html

The brlkiama font (free) is a good match up for standard text letters(type the letter to get the desired Braille character). Install the font and draw the tru-type text path in Vector. You can then offset to the outside to cut around the dots, leaving them raised, or place inside a containing contour and just pocket. Works with Vcarvz too.

Best Regards,

Fred Smith
IMService

sea_nc@bellsouth.net
02-09-2002, 05:02 PM
Hi Scott,
I don't have company name handy, but at least one company sells a patented system in which you basically drill a hole and insert a "nub" everywhere a point of braille text exists. Once you get text converted to braille you could easily punch holes for nubs at every braille point (using a straight bit of the correct size to fit your "nubs"). If you are removing material to create raised braille, you could combine Fred's technique with the small "roundover" bits used for braille to leave rounded nubs instead of ones with vertical sides.
David

srwtlc
02-09-2002, 09:46 PM
Thanks for all the info guys, I'll check it out.

Dave,

I think you have hit pretty close to what the situation may be. The company that I do alot of work for is looking at getting a CNC to do this very thing with some kind of material/kit setup just like you mentioned, but they haven't come across the software for doing the dimples with yet (or the CNC) and I thought if I could come up with something first it might help me keep/get some business. I don't know what the material is called, but I'm sure that any conversion software/font that I could get into SB code quickly would work to make the dimples.

Scott

Dan_Tech@Charter.net
11-12-2003, 01:01 AM
Scott - let me know if this issue is still current. I produce about a dozen router cut ADA signs a week.

I have several sources for the Braille translator including a free - if not completely convenient two part one.

The Braille cutters - buy direct from New Hermes. When you get into the letter cutting - that’s a specialty bit as well which - unsurprisingly - New Hermes doesn’t even know they have in stock...

Let me know if you still need the info - glad to share. Dan_Tech@Charter.net (mailto:Dan_Tech@Charter.net) Make sure you put ADA sign making question of something similar that will get my attention in the subject line of the email or it might get trashed as Spam.

P.S. the Braille pump system - if your tool handy I can walk you through the 40 dollar version instead of the $1200 patent system.... I have the patent system so I’m speaking from experience. On the issue of substrates - don’t fall for the heap of hype. I can steer you in a couple directions.

GRANDPAS@IX.NETCOM.COM
11-12-2003, 08:37 AM
You can get the BRAILE type font from a company "LAMRO in Meza arizona" their phone number is (was) 1-800 525-2676. They can give it to you in a plt file that is used by computer engraving machines on a diskette. They also have all the current ADA symbols as well. They are not cheap, Normal font sets usually run around $200.00. I have most of the ADA plt files, but not the type fonts.
Dale Grabowski