PDA

View Full Version : Making Samples

terryjones
05-05-2009, 11:25 PM
Hi All,
I am a new botter, have my PRT for about 8 weeks. I was told at the Austin Camp to make samples to drum up business. Here are some pictures of some of my samples. I have been visiting sign companies, fence and patio cover companies and frame shops. I will be contacting some cabinet shops with in the next couple of weeks. Market Market Market!! I have had a request to make some custom bead board and gave the customer a prototype sample, which they liked. I am sure the business will start coming in soon.

Thank you for your thoughts,

Terry

shoeshine
05-06-2009, 03:39 AM
Hi Terry,

appreciate you posting.

As a new to be botter (my BT 48 should ship next week), I am in the middle of coming up with sample ideas and files myself.

Please let us know how the marketing effort goes, and what seems to be working and what you deem to have been wasted time and effort.

One of the reasons I have chosen shopbot over other machines is the community here on the forums. Hopefully with input from many quarters we all can help grow our bussinesses. Lord knows, just cruising this board has given me ideas I probably never would have come up with on my own.

Chris

beacon14
05-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Terry,

Nice work, don't tell anyone that you're new at this, no reason to spill the beans and they certainly won't know it from looking at your work.

A tip about using this forum, if you'll put a carriage return between the code for each image the pics will come out stacked instead of lined up sideways, makes the thread easier to read.

Keep up the good work!

chiloquinruss
05-06-2009, 10:07 AM
I've been doing some samples but the one that paid the most dividends was I was attending a city council meeting and they wanted a small sign for the park. I volunteered. Well I've done 24 signs since then and those I got paid for!
Good luck with your biz and welcome to the wonderful world of 'botting'!

BTW GREAT work for a new botter! Like Dave suggests, don't let anyone know your new at this because your samples tell an entirely different story, well done! Russ

terryjones
05-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. Today I cut shelving parts using Aspire and used the nesting feature. Talk about efficient use of one sheet of plywood and I did not have to man-handle the sheet of plywood but once. No more back and forth on the table saw. Now, no one tell anyone else about the newness of my bot experience. I will not spill the beans ever again. I appreciate the suggestion to separate the pictures.

The pictures are of the completion of the nesting process which I think is so cool. I have also added a couple of pictures of my ShopBot set up and in the box on the wall is a miniature laptop I have a cooling fan incorporated on the right side of the box so the computer stays dust free and cool.

Thank you,
Terry

terryjones
05-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Forgot the last picture. "The Left overs"
This is so amazing. You can't tell I am excited, can you?

Terry