PDA

View Full Version : Slice Forms

daniel
09-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Is anyone using slicefroms as a building technique. I designed the shape and the ribs of this very quickly in Solidworks. The slots however took a while and are less than optimal. Is anyone with a bot profeciant enough with Solidworks to help me with develop a quick technique for makeing the slots.

myxpykalix
09-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Someone had posted this design, or something similar, a while back. Not sure what to tell you in order to do a search but i believe they posted the files also. That might help you to figure your design if you could see these.

mims
09-11-2009, 05:30 PM
I don't know much about SW, but it's very doable with scripting. I've done it in Rhino with Grasshopper. It can be a difficult thing. When I did mine, I made the inside edge always match up flush with the crossing piece, so that the crossing pieces are never proud and never show their plys. If you can make a 'parametric' script, you'll be in luck.. that way, you can change the thickness of the material and the ribs will be shifted to compensate and the slots will be the correct size.

larry_r
09-11-2009, 08:49 PM
Hey Dan,
Try using the "Linear Step and Repeat" tool in SW. It is located under Tools/Sketch Tools. This will allow you copy the slot and repeat as many times as you would like at a fixed distance over the length you desire. PartWorks/Aspire has the same feature also.

Larry

daniel
09-11-2009, 11:48 PM
I think I've got it figured out. It will take me a couple of days, However I will repost some results. Solidworks is really cool, but it takes alot of time to learn. It is going to be a great tool to go along with the bot. More Slice forms to come!

gene
09-12-2009, 12:37 AM
That would make a very interesting wall display unit

daniel
09-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Ok Guys, Still struggling along with designing these things but this is my latest, I will keep posting as things become more complex and cool. Anyone intrested in starting a thread on what you've created using Solidworks and the bot?

myxpykalix
09-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Daniel...i like your globe design. Do you have any pics of the parts unassembled? How were the parts cut and assembled? How do they lock together? Very cool!!

daniel
09-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Hey Jack, No I didn't take any pics of the unassembled parts. All the peices are just sloted at the correct places. Its all held together just by the interlocking peices, no glue. It only took about ten minutes to slide together. I'm trying to learn Solidworks, and I'm using sliceforms as encouragement to learn how to manipulate the program.

mikeacg
09-16-2009, 06:25 PM
I don't have any software that can even come close to Solidworks so I will be watching your progress! Thanks for sharing!
Mike

magic
09-22-2009, 03:09 PM
That slicing is very easy in Partworks

You make a rectangle - duplicate it - move it the desired distance in x or y, then use the trim tool,

You can do it very quickly

scott_smith
09-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Solidworks… Are you saying you get 2d profiles from Solidworks? How? I send everything through AutoCAD from Solidworks to go to the ShopBot and the CNC at work. Please tell me there is an easier way.

mitch_prest
09-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Scott... you make a drawing of your part in solidworks... then use "save as" to save it in a format that you want.. DXF DWG... what ever you like...

mitch

monkeygrip
09-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Very nice Daniel, I'm looking forward to your skills advancing, you've picked it up pretty quick. But like I said before, it's one of those programs that you will always have something to learn.

Good work!

daniel
09-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Thanks Ryan,

Scott, Mitch is correct, "Make Drawing from Part"
Then save as DXF

Magic, Isn't partworks 2D only, I'm not sure how you would use partworks to create a 3D object and then slice it up. What you described above is "How to use trim tool" Which is very different than Building slice forms from 3D objects.

scott_smith
09-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Save as dxf or dwg. That's what I ment by Solidwork to Autocad to ShopBot.