PDA

View Full Version : 3D painting (shopbot as an art making tool)

shoeshine
09-08-2009, 01:39 AM
I have been a painter (traditional oil and acrylic on canvas) for years which has always been seperate from the stuff I make in the shop.

enter the bot...

My first real foray into integrating the two.

"that Joke Isnt Funny Anymore"
Acrylic on carved plywood and MDF
24"w x 33"h x 2.25"d

It was made in 5 pieces; frame, lettering panel, curtains (cut from a relief bitmap w/ photoVcarve), figure panel, and background.

all hand painted in artist's tube acrylics except the lettering which was masked to spray the black in and then colored by hand.

I'll be showing this piece at an Art Open in town on the 20th when I have an open studio. Be interesting to see what kind of reception it gets.

cabnet636
09-08-2009, 04:10 AM
that is creative!!

jim

myxpykalix
09-08-2009, 07:12 AM
I like the seperate objects giving it the shadows and depth. The artistic ability needed to create the paintings is great. But i don't understand the theme?

wberminio
09-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Chris

You've brought Shopbot to a new dimension!

Nice Work.

carlosgmarroquin
09-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Just Beautiful !

Thanks for sharing.

shoeshine
09-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Jack, It's an old theme...

"A man goes to a doctor and complains that he’s depressed. The doctor says the cure is quite simple, because the great clown Pagliacci happens to be in town. Go see him. He will cheer you up. The man bursts into tears, “but doctor, I am Pagliacci.”

The internal life of a clown has been used in art many times to illustrate the sometime conflicting face we put on for the world and our own private feelings and thoughts. Hence the bright colors and carnival trappings compared to the rather plain dress and low saturation pallate of the figure. I also very consiously posed the figure in a low key almost brooding posture and expression to heighten this contrast.

What the actual "joke" is, is left to the viewer as this is a painting of an archetype and meant to shed light on the viewers own conflicts between internal and external. The words can be read on multiple levels. whether it is the figure's own disillusionment with the happy face he feels he has to display, or the view from outside where seeing through the mask that the figure puts on adds a hint of sadness to his perfomance.

for all its gaity and frills, it is a slightly tragic piece.

Chris

myxpykalix
09-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Pagliacci-the sad clown.
Boy...thats deep! I was thinking more along the lines of "if you have to explain the joke, its not funny".

I guess its true that most paintings need a "backstory" to explain in words what the artist is trying to portray in pictures if it isn't readily apparent to shlubs like me who aren't "so-fist-ta-katid".
The artistry is exceptional.

harryball
09-09-2009, 06:51 AM
Would that I could paint.

I've always said... if I can do it, it ain't art.

Very nice.

/RB

coach
09-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Chris, that is really awesome. I still can't tell if it is a person sitting there or a painting. (I have scrutinzed it more than a few times over the last day.)
Quite impressive.

butch
09-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Chris
That is fantastic work. I like the depth you attained, makes it very realistic. Let us know how you do at the show. I give you a blue ribbon.

Butch