PDA

View Full Version : Shopbot Poker: "I'm in"

kc10flteng
02-18-2006, 12:30 AM
Howdy folks! I've just sent in my long saved "Harley" fund for a new PTRa96 with all the fixin's. So I'm out a new bike and a pair of diamond earrings to forestall the ever dreaded question "how much did that thingy cost". Don't all shout "fool" at once! I run a one man woodshop on an Air Force base and I've got this crazy notion that that I can make more profit making large military type signage, insignia, shadowboxes - that sort of thing that some of you prior G.I.'s maybe familiar with. One small problem with my idea though, I have no clue what I'm doing!!!!! I'm "decent" with computers, CAD (Autocad 2002), machine tools, etc, but have zero experience with the sign manufacturing industry once one gets away from plain, manually worked wood products. Can anyone recommend a place I can start to get educated on the sign building biz - in a hurry. Thanks

" I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

rookie432
02-18-2006, 09:20 AM
Ron, Start reading the letterheads bullboard. at www.letterhead.com (http://www.letterhead.com) order some books from signweb particularly "Mastering Layout" and subscribe to signs of the times magazine. Then practice, practice, practice.
And buy the way You will get your money back on this tool. Just understand that it is within you to accomplish the return on your investment the shopbot is just a major stepping stone to help catapult you there.

Bill

kerrazy
02-18-2006, 10:30 AM
Also Sign Craft is agreat magazine to subscribe to, also consider a couple of books to aid in color combinations such as color harmony or Global COlor combinations. Check out www.letterheadfonts.com (http://www.letterheadfonts.com) for so really great fonts that work well with v-carving or prismatic carving. and also look at www.goldenstudios.com (http://www.goldenstudios.com) for some real great frames and appliques to incorporate into your designs.

Dale

Brady Watson
02-18-2006, 11:00 AM
Ron,
ShopBots don't leak oil...

When it all comes down to it, desire has more to do with success than any other factor. If you have the desire & hunger to learn, then you WILL succeed!

-Brady

earld
02-20-2006, 11:04 AM
Ron,
When I inherited some money, I thought long about what to do with it. My final decision was to create a doorway for "oppertunity" to occur. I wouldn't find that with a Harley that I was considering. You will be able to buy several Harleys because of the ShopBot.
The ShopBot is a fantastic machine that is not difficult to get comfortable with, especially since you have background in machine tools and CAD.
Just get your business skills up to speed. I've posted several starting points elsewhere, as well as the super help from the Forum.
Also, one of the great sources for sign making is "Making Wooden Signs", available from several woodworking websites and Amazon.com
Good luck and enjoy the ride!
Earl

gene
02-21-2006, 10:15 PM
Ron ,
I have a Harley that i'll sell ya , Trust me The shopbot is definately going to be more profitable. You dont have to put plates and insurance on the shopbot. Gene

boxbuilder
02-25-2006, 07:58 AM
Ron,
What Air Force Base do you work on? I just seperated from the Air Force and I make a lot of stuff for the Frame and Design shop here. I've visited several of the stores around the Air Force. It seems like if they all got together they could get a lot better as a whole. Some are doing great things and offering great products while others can't even get people to come in to see what they have to offer.

Scott

ckurak
02-25-2006, 03:08 PM
Ron,

For your initial "practice cuts" pick up some inexpensive 3/4"x4'x8' foam sheets at your local building supply. There are a number of advantages while you are practicing: low noise, inexpensive material, won't break bits (unless you dive into the spoilboard or hit a hold-down screw), no sawdust, etc., etc.

Also, if you coat the foam (after cutting, of course) with epoxy, you can even paint it and have a real sign. Search through the forum here for lots of ideas.

Welcome to the community and good luck with your ideas. :-)

Charles