View Full Version : Toolpathing Question

chodges
04-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Occasionally, I will create a drawing that will produce errors in PartWorks when I try to generate a lot of toolpaths at one time, but PartWorks will generate the toolpaths if I select portions of the drawing each time.

For example, I have a 48" x 96" sheet full of 6" squares with 1/2" radius corners. PartWorks stops with errors if I have all the squares selected for toolpathing, but it works ok if I just select 3 or 4 rows of the squares and generate several toolpaths.

My PC has 2Mb of RAM, and it's a 3.4Ghz Pentium. I am using PartWorks version 1.1 that came with my PRS Alpha.

Any ideas?

knight_toolworks
04-17-2009, 03:32 PM
are the parts imported? I have had that on imported things. I could select a few and make a toolpath but not all of them. but there were underlying problems.
I have had invisible lines get selected with I select all and cause the errors.
if all the parts are the same delete all but one and redo the sheet.

chodges
04-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Yes, the drawing is an imported .EPS from Corel Draw version 12.

When I created the drawing, I made one square, then copied it a bunch of times to fill up the sheet.

You would think that any error in the original square would be duplicated in all the other squares.

Thanks!

Brian Moran
04-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Hi Charlie,

If you can send a file you are having problems with to support@vectric.com (mailto:support@vectric.com) we will have a look at it and see what the problems might be. As Steve has said above 99.9% of the time it is problems with the original geometry, the program can cope with a certain number of issues, but if you have the same part with errors duplicated many times you can exceeed the retry count in the software.

Brian

dana_swift
04-17-2009, 05:04 PM
I have had problems where what is visible to me is the object I thought I drew, in fact there are several copies in the same place and that can confuse things.

If I suspect that, I select the "object" delete it and see if it goes away. If not, there is a second copy in the same place (perhaps on a different layer). I keep deleting until the object disappears then I "undo" one time to put the last one back.

Hope that helps-

D

tony_mac
04-17-2009, 06:14 PM
PartWorks / VCarve Pro includes a tool that automatically selects duplicate vectors, allowing them to easily be deleted.

From the main menu select,

Edit > Select All Duplicate Vectors

This option is also available off the Quick Menu by clicking the right hand mouse button.

Press the Delete key and all of the unwanted vectors will be removed.

Tony

chodges
04-17-2009, 07:36 PM
Thanks everyone!

I forwarded my PartWorks file to Brian Moran in the Support Department at Vetric. It's probably something I did wrong, but I'm stumped.

I did check, and there are no duplicate or open vectors in my file.

Thanks!

knight_toolworks
04-17-2009, 08:02 PM
just go to node editing and look at the part. you may have lines overlapping or a kink or some other wacky problem.You may have to zoom in quite a ways. look for extra node points.

Brian Moran
04-20-2009, 05:15 AM
Hi Charlie,

I've looked at the file and the simple rounded square has 3 coincident / overlapping nodes in it.

If you go into node edit mode (press 'N' on the keyboard) and then click and drag on the nodes you will see the coincident / overlapping nodes in the corners.

Although the program manages to cope with these errors when machining a single example, when you try to machine multiple copies in one go you exceed the internal retry count.

Brian

chodges
04-20-2009, 08:33 AM
Thanks Brian!

I closed the paths in Corel Draw, but I guess something went a little goofy when I exported my drawing to an .EPS

I really appreciate your help!