PDA

View Full Version : Gluing pvc to lacquer

magic
07-09-2009, 03:17 PM
I've searched with no results

Does anyone know - for sure - without speculating..... how to glue komatex (PVC) to a painted lacquer?

I've tried Elmer's epoxy & the PVC solvent itself which kinda works but doesn't hold well enough.

Gary Campbell
07-09-2009, 03:27 PM
magic...
sand both the PVC and lacquer..120 grit West Systems or equal epoxy. Add high density filler if surface requires bridging. Bond will be only as strong as lacquer/primer to substrate.

Another option for small jobs is Rod Bond epoxy for fishing rod assembly. it is a 2 part epoxy with a peanut butter consistency that is purchased in small tubs. Works very well
Gary

magic
07-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Thank you very much.

Now all i need to do is remove 60 stars and re attach them.

Gary Campbell
07-09-2009, 03:48 PM
magic...
I forgot to mention... they also have a 5 minute version, its not quite as strong as the overnite, but you wouldnt try to pull up a 400 lb Tuna with your stars!

Dont forget.... all epoxies need an abraded or porous finish for full strength. 80-120 grit gives pretty good "tooth"
Gary

knight_toolworks
07-10-2009, 12:45 AM
plastic is hard to find something that really will stick to it. I like to use e6000 it is a silicone adhesive. it has flex so it can deal with material movement. e600 is goop in a caulking tube. about 6.99 a tube and it keeps for months. you can get it about anywhere. but there are different grades one that flows a thicker one and a uv proof one.

bleeth
07-10-2009, 06:39 AM
I have found that the common answer to gluing things together that don't work with the common glues around the shop is often one version or another of the methacrylate's. Here is a link to one series.

http://www.ellsworth.com/display/productlisting.html?ProductLineID=12&SubcategoryID =47&Tab=Products

Your local Grainger carries a couple of lines as well. It's a bit pricy but the failure rate is really low.

propellers
07-10-2009, 09:01 AM
Magic, There are two product that will work excellent. First is JB Weld Epoxy located at most harware stores, takes a while to cure but provides work time to position the part.
Secon is an excellent product that sets in minutes. Its called Duramix, expesive but so is labor and having to redo a job. This can be purchased in Automotive paint stores. It is used in the auto industry to bond nearly all parts, used in plastic bumper repair and bonding metal parts inside doors. It requires a application gun somewhat like a caulk gun. It has a mixing tube so its ready to apply as you squeeze the trigger or as we do sometimes leave the mix tube off and squeeze a small amount out and mix and apply by hand. Both product require the gloss removed from the bonding surfaces and are two part systems.

coolhammerman
07-10-2009, 09:30 AM
3M 5200 Fast Cure Marine Adhesive Sealant.
You can get it directly from 3M. Do a Google search and be sure to add Fast Cure.

I used to manage a large marina north of Atlanta, Ga with the largest user accessible repair yard in the south. 5200 adhesive becomes one-with-the-fiberglass when used. It is extremely permanent. Lightly sand both surfaces and attach. The Fast Cure version cures in 24 hours, regular 5200 in 7 days, but is stronger.

The limiting factor is the strength of the lacquer as stated earlier. 5200's blessing is also its curse. If you ever need to remove it, you have to grind it off and it is very hard.

Customers used it to attach ladders and other through the hull accessories above and below the waterline. It never leaks or loosens when applied correctly, ever!

Good luck.
Ronco

bob_s
07-10-2009, 12:13 PM
I agree on the 3M 5200 - I used it, along with 7/16 bolts on an emergence outboard motor mount that has kept a 25 hp motor attached in over 3000 hours of pounding in 5-6 foot seas over the past 6 years. If it has held that together it proves how strong it is, plus it has a little flexibility so it doesn't develop cracks easily. I do remember that it took about 2 weeks of scrubbing to get the few streaks of it off my hands.

scott_smith
07-10-2009, 01:55 PM
I like Steve’s E6000 idea. I couldn’t find it locally but the big boxes around here sell “Amazing Goop”. Same company and I couldn’t tell the difference.