PDA

View Full Version : Dust shoe by McGyver

phil_o
02-25-2009, 10:35 AM
I have a small Shopbot 24 x 32 table. My dust collection system is a Fein vac with a Clear Vue Cyclone. The stock Shopbot dust shoe, in my experience, is not well suited to a shop vac. I'm sure it would would work well with a dust collector. Most of the items I make don't produce a great amount of chips so I don't really need a big time dust collector.
I've experimented with a few different shoe designs. My most recent one works very well. The main component is a Tupperware container, 6" dia. I cut a hole in the bottom for the chuck, a rectangular hole in the side for a vac nozzle and I cut the overall height of the container down by about an inch. I had to trim the end of the nozzle a bit so it wouldn't extend into the bowl any more than needed. I made the skirt from a plastic milk jug. I cut a strip about 1 1/2" by 20" long and made a series of cuts about 1/2" apart and pop riveted it to the bowl.
This design gets the point of suction much closer to the source of chips than the stock shoe. For my purposes it performs much better than the larger shoe that came with the machine.

gundog
02-25-2009, 12:01 PM
I love it simple and inexpensive.