View Full Version : Teaching what you know

myxpykalix
03-10-2009, 02:06 AM
It has occurred to me that there is a vast wealth of untapped knowledge, talent, and experience on this forum that if it were coordinated in the right way could be beneficial to many of us (those of us with less talent and experience that is).

Joe Crumley has the right idea of creating and teaching a workshop on sign creation. Why couldn't those of you with other talents like painting/staining techniques like Danny Ray or Dan Dunshee or anyone else take the time to create a workshop and charge a fee for others to learn what you know?
You would make money, you could control who you let in (so as not to teach the competing signmaker in your town) your secrets and us students could learn more uses of the bot to take back to our respective areas.

Sign creation, painting/staining techniques, 3d file creation, cabinetmaking and a whole host of other things i haven't thought of.

This doesn't have to be supported by or sanctioned by Shopbot but obviously you would have to take the time to create a course outline with the ability for the students to "take something home" for their efforts.

I know I couldn't travel all the way to California to learn from Danny Ray but if there was someone in my surrounding state who could teach me something i would make the effort to get to it.
That is why somehow we could set up a database of those who might be interested in doing this and what their course would be and the fee they would charge and where they are located. Maybe set it up by state?

I just think that if i could learn how to do a sign like Joe, or a finish on mdf like Danny Ray or Dan Dunshee how that might also help me make money by learning something new and we have all these "teachers" here with all this untapped potential.

khalid
03-10-2009, 02:38 AM
Jack.. Thats really a great idea
... The names you mentioned are the champions in their work.. Many peoples will get benefit if they can arrange workshops ...

dray
03-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Maybe that would get me out of my slump.

rcnewcomb
03-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Danny,
I would love to see some of your work in person. I'll be out in the L.A. area at the end of March. It looks like Costa Mesa is just a leisurly drive down I-5 from where I'll be staying.

myxpykalix
03-10-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm not sure how it could be coordinated maybe those who feel like they could teach could figure out how to set up their respective courses but I could see some kind of database or website set up listing every state with individuals, their specialty, prices and a course outline and contact info.

oddcoach
03-10-2009, 11:59 PM
I'm in for teaching. woodworking and jig building
John

bcammack
03-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Randall,

Nothing is lesiurely about taking I-5 through L.A. county.

Take I-405 on the west side of town. You can either exit at Harbor Blvd or cut over to the 55 freeway to take you into the heart of Costa Mesa and Newport Beach.

rcnewcomb
03-11-2009, 12:56 PM
I used to live in Lake Forrest right where I-5 and I-405 split, so the I-5 comment was definitely tongue-in-cheek.

As it is my daughter lives in Hollywood so I-5 is probably still faster than all the stop and go on Sunset to get to the 405.

bcammack
03-11-2009, 04:45 PM
I used to live off Jeronimo Road south of Alicia Pkwy, just above El Dorado Park. After that, in Laguna Hills off between Moulton Pkwy and the Aliso Viejo Country Club. (Back then is was a cow pasture...)

Left in '86 and haven't been back since '93.

Some days I would *kill* for either a Chili Cheese Omelette from Charlie's Chili at the Newport Pier or an asparagus omelette and a side of fresh spinach from the Harbor House Cafe in Sunset Beach. Let's not even start on In 'n Out burgers!

Sorry for the thread drift. I'm waxing nostalgic more than usual lately...

drodda
03-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Tommy's chili cheese burgers are the bomb!!!! Not the new franchise ones either the original is the only way to go.