PDA

View Full Version : Noise Noise and more Noise, need solutions

IvanTT@ix.netcom.com
11-19-2000, 10:22 PM
Hello all,

Well I'm up and running and making my first bits of furniture. I've been considering sound proofing the garage since the first time I fired it up about 4 weeks ago and today at around 4PM the cops show up to tell me to knock it off. At 4 PM! Needless to say that although I was pleasant to the police and they were apologetic, I wanted to put a brick though the B****** head that called the cops on me!
Well enough ranting I was thinking about some sound deadening board on the inside of the garage and the garage door. Anybody tried it? I don't want to loose the power of my PC 3.25 and settle for something lighter. Anybody have a relatively sound proof shop out there?

donframbach
11-19-2000, 10:56 PM
Rick,

Take a look at http://www.soundproofing.org/

There was also a (relatively) recent article in one of the woodworking magazines. If I find it, I'll send you the reference.

Good Luck,

Don Frambach

donframbach
11-20-2000, 02:39 PM
Rick,

Here is a better link:
http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/garage.htm

Don

bubba
11-26-2002, 08:20 PM
A Colombo or Perske spindle helps , particularly if your looking for production speed

windsor@muskoka.com
11-27-2002, 11:24 AM
I set my shopbot up in the attic of my shop that has a metal roof . First time I ran it there I could hear it about a block away . I've since insulated between the 6" rafters with R20 Roxul and now You can't hear the machine just outside the building . Also keeps things a lot cooler up there in the summer , and warmer in the winter . Running the two shopvacs that I use when running the machine usually heats up the space when it's just above freezing outside . Next I'm going to figure out how to exhaust the shopvacs outside in the summer .

bjwat@comcast.net
11-27-2002, 01:36 PM
You can get pretty far with fiberglass insulation and by sealing any gaps to the outside.

I know the Columbo is a big investment, but the 1st time that I turned it on, I was amazed at how quiet it was. According to the manual, it is rated at 74 decibels. Of course, that is without a load and the material being cut plays a role too.

I was concerned with sound before I got my machine, so I put up a 2X6 wall, stuffed it with R-19 and covered it in 5/8 rock. I also insulated the ceiling. I tinted and covered the windows and insulted them as well.

It makes a big difference. Make sure that you insulate the ceiling or rafters. That's where the sound will resonate most if not insulated. Also, make sure that you cover any windows and do something with the garage door.