PDA

View Full Version : The tool I can't live without is.....

matt_r
07-21-2006, 11:44 AM
I thought I'd do informal poll here. The obvious completion to the subject statement is "my Shopbot". But I'm curious which other tool(s) in your shop are indispensible. It may be as simple as a pair of digital callipers, or your Fein vacuum. Now there are some obvious things, like your PC you design with, or your tooling (bits), or your dust collector, but I'm thinking along the lines of stuff that makes your job easier, that may not be so obvious.

I'll start.
Digital Callipers
18V Cordless Drill - in a holster right beside my bot.

Would love to hear any and all input.

-Matt

patricktoomey
07-21-2006, 12:44 PM
Digital Calipers (my battery went dead the other day and I had a panic attack. I didn't realize how much I NEED it. So I bought 4 spare batteries and a spare set of calipers in case the main one breaks.

Pocket Hole Jig (face frames)

Dust Collector (so I can breathe)

Compressor (blowing off table between sheets)

HVLP spray gun (dyes and lacquers)

Too many others to list but missing any of those would make a bad day for me.

pierre_wessels
07-21-2006, 02:17 PM
All of what is above....plus

Drill and drywall screws for hold-down
Extra bits on hand incase of "drywall screw contact"
Pliers to remove mangled head drywall screws

My back to lift 4x8 mdf sheets onto the bot by myself

Orbital sander

Talkshopbot forum
Pierre

normand
07-21-2006, 03:53 PM
+ my vice

gerald_d
07-21-2006, 04:03 PM
...the vice (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/board-profile.cgi?action=pict&file=2783.jpg)

patricktoomey
07-21-2006, 04:06 PM
Holy cow, that's a serious vice!

paco
07-21-2006, 04:53 PM
Saw horses (SB one) are VERY-VERY handy around the shop.

Clamps; as many models, sizes and number as possible.

olecrafty
07-21-2006, 05:46 PM
for those of us who are disabled

my lift table & hoist
My next door neiqhbor who likes to play in wood as much as I do

scott_smith
07-21-2006, 07:07 PM
And more clamps!

This was a good find for hold down. Small top to fit under dust foot and it’s aluminum (not that I ever cut into one). And cheep! I think they were under $5.00 at Home Depot or Lowe’s.

paco
07-21-2006, 11:12 PM
Exactly the one and exactly the size Scott!

I really like those long reach small Bessey. I pay about 7$ca. each here. The only other one I have seen with lower profile are for welding purpose and about at least 10X more expen$ive.

rcnewcomb
07-22-2006, 03:48 AM
Two items:
1. A cordless drill that we use when we screw material to the spoil board
2. A blade from a hand plane that we use to shave off the moguls left by the screws we used with tool number 1.

dhunt
07-22-2006, 03:11 PM
Nice low-profile head to that clamp, Scott.
Any SB room should have AT LEAST six to eight such low-profile clamps!

jhicks
07-23-2006, 07:57 AM
A pair of the simple sheet stock handles/carriers one can buy at HD for under $20.00. The ones you use to carry MDF by clipping the handle under the edge of the sheet so two people can carry the sheets on edge. They look like "J" hooks with human handles. Great for even 1,1/4" MDf which gets REALLY heavy to move from the garage to the shop.

tuck
07-30-2006, 01:57 PM
My panel saw. I don't use it every day, but I wouldn't take anything for it. Well, maybe a new truck...?

paco
07-30-2006, 02:31 PM
Hey Jerry!

I made mine from 5/8" plywood leftover within less than an hour and moved 120 5/8" melamine sheet with it recently. Within minutes I became addicted to this tool. Maybe I could share the CAD files...?!

Speaking of tools, anybody would have feedback about Grizzly? They got all sort of very nice machinery and what about prices?!

Still, I'm wondering about the services quality and how doing business with 'em goes.

Anyone have opinions to share?

BTW, unless there is an error, they are selling the 5626 MK router at LESS than 300$usd! Everything is under price of what I've looked at from dust collector to clamps!