PDA

View Full Version : Spiral leggged coffee table

myxpykalix
03-01-2007, 11:14 AM
I made this in cherry with a band of aromatic cedar on the table top. I spiraled the legs in a right hand and left hand twist.

ed_lang
03-01-2007, 11:17 AM
And on top it looks like a turned bowl you did and a cutting board that was made in my shop we you were here for a demo!

harryball
03-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Jack... I'm impressed... jealous... and impressed. Production to pay bills drives my time and I can't justify a bat table... yet. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy what I do and provide housing for indigent bats all over the country (soon the world). I see projects like this and just want to be more creative... but alas my day is full.

Robert

myxpykalix
03-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Ever hear the term "starving artist"? Well at least you're making money!

jhicks
03-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Jack, now that you are entering this world of turnings and indexing work. Check out the unique plunge bits available for the Legacy machine at
http://www.magnate.net/

I think you'll be happy to see some unusual profiles that can really spice up these types of turnings.
Nice job.

myxpykalix
03-05-2007, 10:25 PM
I have a legacy (thats what those legs were made on) and have bought all my legacy bits from magnate. I hate the way their site is designed though. I have a 900.

joe
05-03-2007, 06:32 AM
Jerry,

Thanks for posting the Magnage web site. That's a new one for me. I especially like their plunge round over selection.

The prices are good too.

J
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

myxpykalix
05-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Be careful when you order bits from magnate, for some reason many of the bits i have ordered from them wind up with chips in them and cracked. I don't drop them (I have a rubber mat in front of my machine just in case) so i don't know if it is just inferior material they are made of.

jhicks
05-04-2007, 09:13 AM
Jack, I had one which gave me some trouble and they replaced it with no hassle so let them know. The other thing I learned is not to clean the bits while hot. Any cleaner or lubricant applied to a hot carbide bit degrades the carbide and destroys its hardness or something so it tends to chip.
That being said Magnate bits are Offshore bits and low cost so as always buyer beware. You do get what you pay for and these may not be up to the challenge of CNC demands vs hand or legacy router in all materials or applications.
But they do have some nice profiles if they can work for you.