PDA

View Full Version : SB3 Controlling spindle

carvingartists
02-07-2008, 07:14 PM
I've got PRS Alpha 96-60-14 with columbo 5hp spindle
my question is when spindle is running and i toggle off input one on keypad control, spindle should stop right? I lose forward signal but the spindle just trickles down about one rpm per second which takes forever.I can stop the spindle in about 5 seconds with the emergency stop but the problem with that is I lose my z every time because with the columbo and air drill the weak springs cannot hold it up so pushing the emergency stop just to change bits results in my tool crashing into the table!!! If anybody has experienced this please let me know the solution

Blair

ron_moorehead
02-07-2008, 08:29 PM
You may want to check the setting in the VFD. You can adjust the time it takes to ramp up to full speed and ramp down to stop. You setting for ramping down maybe set to long.

carvingartists
02-07-2008, 09:05 PM
I've already spent time on the phone both with PDS and shopbot technical support. I went through and reset the VFD. According to the VFD it should stop within ten seconds but it isn't happening that way.Tech support also said to change settings in VFD that hasn't fixed the problem so far.

erniek
02-08-2008, 12:20 PM
I've got a columbo 5hp spindle on my PRT. Normally when I press the stop button on the VFD control it stops rather quickly. Today I just hit the off button on the phase converter instead and the spindle coasted down very slowly like yours.

Perhaps the keypad control is just cutting the power on yours rather than issuing a stop command to the VFD.

henrik_o
02-08-2008, 01:13 PM
quote:[When using keypad] spindle just trickles down about one rpm per second which takes forever.I can stop the spindle in about 5 seconds with the emergency stop

That's very peculiar because afaict it's the exact reverse of how it is supposed to work. If I hit the E-stop my Colombo 5hp + VFD will power off and it takes quite a while for the rotation to stop: there's no power to actuate a powered stop. When in keypad mode, or running a program, i.e with the VFD powered, it stops in 4-5 secs.

I'm an idiot when it comes to electronics, but could this be down to wiring issues?

carvingartists
02-08-2008, 11:28 PM
let me make it more clear when i hit emergency stop spindle stops within five seconds then VFD and control box shut off.when i toggle off output one on keypad control the VFD does not lose power and coast to a stop which would maybe take about 1 minute,instead the VFD does not lose power and literally slows one rpm per second meaning a slow down from 18000 rpm's would take 18000 seconds . i have let it stop on its own ,and when it does the VFD still does not lose power but just sits at 0. I have called shopbot concerning this matter,they referred me to precision drive systems, i did what they told me to do,and when that didn't work they referred me back to shopbot so instaed of going in circles i thought i would turn to the forum for advice .Thanks for the replys andf ideas please keep them coming

Blair

carvingartists
02-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks for all the answers .. Chris & Frank from tech support helped me out ...... I had to go all the way back to delta For help ..I can't tell you exactly what they had me change,But apparently the VFD was programmed wrong from the factory..It sure is nice to be able to stop spindle without killing the whole BOT.I didn't realize how spoiled i would be!!!!!!