PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Claytools software?

ernie_balch
01-20-2008, 10:37 AM
I bought Claytools to make 3D models with. It is a lot of fun to use because the input device pushes back allowing you to feel the surface and sculpt it.

http://www.sensable.com

Here is a model I made with claytools.

joe
01-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Very Handsom Ernie,

Have you thought about carveing it?

Joe

Brady Watson
01-20-2008, 01:16 PM
CT is a great program, and the cool thing about it is that you can actually FEEL what you are sculpting on the screen via haptic device. It isn't a cheap setup, so be forewarned...but it will let you sculpt in full 3D, create NURBS meshes, and draw vectors directly on the solid/clay model. The program will not work using a mouse only, so the haptic input device serves as a dongle of sorts. It's a nice companion program for Rhino and ArtCAM for times when you require working in full 3D. After creating a full 3D model, it can be output into an STL that reads directly into Cut3D for complete 4-sided cutting. Most of the time I will create some shapes in ArtCAM, throw them into CT and work on them a bit, and send them back to ArtCAM to do some final sculpting and then toolpathing.

Here are a few things that I made or reworked in ClayTools:

An arrowhead (from scratch):

A 'clacker' for music (from scratch):

A gun grip (assembled & reworked):

A chair (from scratch)

-B

ernie_balch
01-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Hi Joe,

Like Brady says, just output an .STL file, and use cut3D to make the shopbot files.

ernie

joe
01-20-2008, 05:36 PM
Ernie,

Since I'm using ArtCam, I'd probably use it to set the parameters. However, in ArtCam this could be made very easily in shape editor. It's only a couple of clicks of the mouse.

I haven't ventured much outside of this program for 3D.

ernie_balch
01-20-2008, 05:49 PM
This simple stuff takes more than a couple of clicks in Claytools. I have to draw the shape then grab the surface and tug it up into shape. The hardest part is knowing how hard to pull. I often get the features way too high.

ernie

joe
01-20-2008, 08:02 PM
One of the things I like in your model is the preview. Much better than I get with ArtCam.

Brady Watson
01-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Joe,
There are a few things that greatly influence preview quality in ArtCAM. 1st, the resolution that you are working at. 2nd, if you are using full OpenGL or software shading mode. 3rd, you need a good NVidia video card up to the demands of ArtCAM. The previewer in ArtCAM totally blows the one in CT away, and it gives you many more options.

-B

joe
01-20-2008, 10:15 PM
Your probably right about the quality of image in ArtCam. I've played around with the colors and resolution which seems to help. I don't think the default yellow gold is very attractive.I must spend more time getting that smooth defination Ernie has posted.

CT probably doesn't have Artcam's "Twiddle" effect. Darn it!

ernie_balch
01-21-2008, 08:30 AM
The good thing about CT is that you "reach into the monitor" and grab the object. You can position it anyway you want and add clay or remove it. You can smooth it, emboss it, distort it and do boolean operations. Once you start using the force feedback tool you hate to go back to a mouse for other programs.

In case it wasn't clear the second photo is the carved signfoam part ready for painting.

ernie