1/8 v bit
1/4 v-bit
1/8 end mill
1/4 end mill
1/2 end mill
90 degree v-bit
60 degree v-bit
45 degree v-bit
but when i call the router bit companies(and i tried tons of em)
they just dint seem to know what i am talking about i know they are 1/4 in shank but well i need some help here people?

thanks

billp
01-20-2003, 04:47 PM
Outland,
You might want to try asking for "end mills"instead of router bits. Generally speaking ( very generally..), they have more flutes, and in a lot of cases are cheaper than comparable router bits..
I use MSC Industrial Supply (1-800-645-7270) for almost ALL of my bits now. Their catalog ( ask for the "big book", NOT just their CD it has pix in it..), has close to 400 pages of end mills...I can get configurations that are not even made in router bits with different tapers, lengths, etc. Plus you can go from High speed steel to a number of carbide grades...I usually order one day, and have the bit a day later...Bill P.

rgbrown@itexas.net
01-20-2003, 08:11 PM
I have had good luck with Woodbits.Com The website is bad but the bits are fairly priced and I get the bits by mail in a few days.

elcruisr
01-21-2003, 07:34 AM
Msc is one of our sources for some of the end mills we use. We use more Onsrud cutters than anything else though, and we use some plastics bits from Courmat. Another source is Whiteside and Vortex. All have web sites and catalogs. The Onsrud regional rep has spent hours with us finding the best cutters for our work. One thing we have discovered is for faster panel production more flutes is not necessarily better. We get the best work out of a single flute compression or up spiral. For plastics check out O-flute tooling.

Eric Lamoray
Balsys Wood Arts
Orlando, FL

pauln
01-21-2003, 10:25 AM
Well, there is one that you might want to consider if you do projects that required bit changes. Her-Saf has a rather nice concept with screw-on cutters, and replacement parts. See them at: http://www.hersaf.com/cutters.html
I do a fair amount to v-carve, and this is a real nice option.

Paul

rgbrown@itexas.net
01-21-2003, 12:09 PM
Paul,

I like Her-Saf also. Some have said they have had "Vibration" problems with them but I never have. I don't have any bit that will cut as "Inexpensively" as my single insert Her-Saf cutters.

Ron

valensign
01-22-2003, 05:36 PM
Outland
I use MLSC.. They carry a good selection of bits and spirals. They are reletivly good bits also for the price. ($7 for a 1/4 stright bit)they are a dollar or so higher then woodbits.com but the free shipping I think makes up for that plus some if you don't want to order $50 worth from woodbits.com heres a link.
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/
Hope this helps

jgilliam@stratosurf.net
03-18-2003, 10:07 PM
I would have to agree with Bill. After trying some stock router bits, I have gone to end mills from the local machine shop suppliers in Houston. I have been getting six to seven times the life from them as compaired to woodworking bits, and they do come in more styles. Besides lasting longer, they are more cost efficient. As a comparison, I give 6.48 for a 1/4" 4 flute solid carbide end mill, or 18.72 for a router bit with the same specs.

noah@noahsart.co.nz
08-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Hello all
I am on holiday in Kingston Ontario, for the next two weeks, from New Zealand. Are there any decent dealers of router bits here or nearby? I think the prices will be much keener here than NZ.

kerrazy
08-06-2003, 03:26 PM
Simon you are one and a half hours away from my shop you have come this far so why not drop in and I will show you my selection of bits I use and we could order them and have them shipped to you direct in Kingston.

Dale Kerr
Ottawa,ON

noah@noahsart.co.nz
08-07-2003, 10:21 AM
Dale

Thanks for the offer. There is a smallish chance that I can get over to see you, I would very much like to. You see I am quite tight on time and family commitments (they live here and I dont get to see them very often).
I have taken down your phone number so I will call you in the next couple of days.

Simon

Bill Kronmueller
08-20-2003, 05:49 PM
Has anyone worked with coated carbide end mills?
TiN, TiCN or TiAIN? Manufacturer claims less edge buildup and increased speeds and feeds

gerald_d
08-21-2003, 06:01 AM
Bill, that is the sales talk for cutting steel while drenched under water/oil coolant. The coatings certainly do help a little for the metal cutting industry, but I really wonder if they will do anything for cutting dry wood???

Bill Kronmueller
08-21-2003, 05:17 PM
Gerald,
I was interested from the resin sticking point of view and the ablity to cut at faster speeds and feeds. I agree with the logic of metal cutting bits under coolant flow but I wonder if the inablity for resin to stick to these coatings may help improve bit life. Just a thought.

gerald_d
08-22-2003, 02:09 AM
Suprisingly maybe, but we have never encountered a resin build-up problem yet . . . . . .(probably jinxed it now)

elcruisr
08-22-2003, 06:36 AM
I think the biggest telling point is that you don't see anything but solid carbide bits on the "big iron". Some of these machines are capable of 3,000 inches / min. Is that fast enough?

Eric

gerald_d
08-22-2003, 08:02 AM
Eric, there is a lot of TiN coating on non-carbide tools as well. Some guys are just applying a gold/bronze color paint and hoping that the customer thinks it is a TiN coated solid carbide bit.

jkforney
08-22-2003, 10:35 AM
I have and use a 1/8 tapered coated bit along with my solid carbide. To do 3d carving, I have noticed no difference. However I am removing very little due to way artcam handles the carving. The initial pass is the only one that tests the bit. Don't think that there is enough cost difference to buy them.

For great conical tools (I know that this is not part of the current thread)) look at conicaltool.com. They will round nose any of the bits and the have great cutting length and strength. They are tapered and not for many purposes, but I just cut some fleur-de-lis out of 3/4 cherry with a 3/32 bit and it looks as if it were cut on a scroll saw. Incredible detail.

By the way conical has coated bits also.

elcruisr
08-22-2003, 10:56 AM
I used to own a boatyard and did we ever go through drill bits. I remember sales people always trying to save us money on our TIN coated bits. They where cheap chinese bits with gold paint that were obvious ****. Just for kicks I chucked one up in a vise and tried to bore a piece of 1/4" mild steel. Took all his "TIN" coating off and I handed him back a dull bit. Never saw him again......

Eric

KILIAN55@COMCAST.NET
04-01-2004, 11:06 PM
I just a call from a place that i got some bits form ,10 weeks ago asking if i all was ok & if i need resharping,wow! the bits are from www.bam tool.com try them thy are great

larryki (Unregistered Guest)
04-01-2004, 11:09 PM
http://www.bamtool.com

Dan B. (Unregistered Guest)
04-26-2004, 10:01 AM
Has anybody tried the router bits from American Carbide? They have the best prices I’ve seen but do they cut well?
Dan B.