PDA

View Full Version : Altering the C2 command

dauntless
01-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Here's the situation. I need to carve a piece of blue foam that is 6.7" thick, including waste board. The problem is that does not leave enough Z for the C2 command to retract a full inch while establishing the z-zero. Is there convenient way to alter the C2 command so that it retracts, say, half an inch instead of a full inch?

I already have the tool paths, and they are based on the z-zero at the top of the foam, so switching to setting z off the table is not convenient.

Thanks! Stan

Gary Campbell
01-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Stan...
When you run the C2 it calls up the ZZero.sbp file. If you look over that file, the Z is lifted "&zup" That variable is initialized as: "&my_ZzeroSafeZ * &scale". The location of the "&my_ZzeroSafeZ" variable is in the C:\SbParts\Custom folder. You can change it directly there, or.......

Run the ShopBot setup ([T]ools [S]etup )
and set the ZZero safe height to .5 (on the 3rd page)
Thats the long and short of it.
Gary

dauntless
01-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Never mind. Ryan at Shopbot reminded me of the zz command. Tx!

dauntless
01-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks Gary!

dana_swift
01-24-2009, 08:52 AM
When you use a C(n) command where (n) is a single digit, the SB3 program looks for a file of the name:
"Custom(n).sbc" with the full path of:
"C:\SbParts\Custom\Custom(n).sbc"

That file is run, and since it is a text file you can edit it to suit your needs. The C(n) commands make the shopbot a very powerful tool, as it isn't limited to somebody else's idea of what you need. Fortunately the experience of all of us who use shopbots have honed the default version of those commands so they tend to be great starting places.

Go open the files and read them and see how they work. At first it seems mysterious, but the mud clears as you study they and read the programming manual.

Many of the SBC files contain nothing more than the command to run another file, like "ZZero.sbp" like Gary has suggested. But that depends on the Custom(n).sbc file and the instructions it contains. You should feel free to change it if you understand the consequences, and take the responsibility, for doing so!

Good luck!

D