View Full Version : 38 Ford Convertible

wberminio
03-05-2009, 10:31 AM
I have a client that needs to replicate this woodeb part for his 1938 Ford Convertible.
I need help!
Never done this before.What steps do I take?
I do have a probe.

Thanks in advance!

Erminio

jdgrahamwaldorf
03-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Do you know where this part goes? I see three attachment points and I am wondering if the hardware/frame will give it the vertical bend? I find that if I try to put myself in the shoes of the original builder and the tools he had available then I find the answer.

John
Restoring a 1925 Graham Brothers delivery truck

cabnet636
03-05-2009, 12:12 PM
some years ago i helped renovate a model t truck. there is a ford parts company in charlotte (concord) headed north from the speedway, they specialized in ancient ford parts. they may have an ad in hemmings motor news

i cannot remember the name but i was amazed at what i saw there when we went to get parts.

jim

cabnet636
03-05-2009, 12:14 PM
parts and spec's for those cars and trucks are very much available

jim

wberminio
03-05-2009, 12:18 PM
John
It were the convertible top is attachd to the rear of the car.
There are staple marks along the side where the top was attached.
The bottom bend and top curve was machined as part of the piece.

wberminio
03-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Jim
My client has a new copy of this part,but it was not fabicated to exact specs.That's why he needs me

My brother-in-law has a 1929 Model A dump truck he restored years ago.It's true yuo can stll get most,if not all parts.
Erminio

dray
03-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Looks like a fun project!

Probing wouldn't do you much good.

The steps I would take would be:

First I would examine the replica parts he has and see if they can be modified by hand.

If not I would make a panel template (if the surface they are mounting to is rounded) Then manufacture new pieces going off of existing mounting holes.

wberminio
03-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Yes Danny,it's fun.....but how do I get started?

1929 Model A

dray
03-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Well first off.. Where on the car do they go? Is it a flat surface, rounded surface?

Here is a link to a 38' convertible and I dont see those parts
http://www.scottysclassiccars.com/cars/description/1938forda.html

dray
03-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Ahh those must be the pieces at the window on the interior?

wberminio
03-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Danny
The part is where the actual cloth top attaches the frame.It is bolted on.It has a bent bottom and a curved top.

dray
03-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Thats not very clear. I assume that it is part of the convertible top and not a part that permanently mounts to the car.

dray
03-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Im assuming its this piece.

cabnet636
03-05-2009, 05:13 PM
i believe it is the "leader board" and is wrapped with the top fabric at the front of the top it was encased

cabnet636
03-05-2009, 05:14 PM
wow you do get to see some cool cars, i think we got one of these buried at the farm

jim

dray
03-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Assuming that is the piece. I would do this.

Take the old part to the car bolt it on and see how close it is. If its close you can use it as a template. If not you will need to make a template for the radius. Im not much good with 3d on my cnc so I would do it by hand and save alot of time.

If you make a template for the radius make sure it fits perfectly then rip some 1/8"- 3/16" strips 1/2" or 3/4" wider than the actual piece, and glue them up and clamp or vacuum bag over the template so you have your shape. After that is dry you can run it through the table saw to get the width then just router it.

Im guessing these are wood because there were slight variations from car to car and each one had to be made custom for that car.

Brady Watson
03-05-2009, 05:54 PM
This is something that could easily be laser scanned, modified in software to make up for father time's twists & warps, and cut on the bot via PartWorks 3D or other CAM package.

-B

dray
03-05-2009, 06:17 PM
With laser scanning (ups'ing back and forth), machining all 4 sides due to radius it will likely take 3-4 days. VS 6-8 hours by hand.

Even then, you couldn't be sure of a perfect match unless a template was made. Unless I'm missing something.

jhicks
03-05-2009, 06:40 PM
How about this. Take the piece and consider it a bowed door/drawer front. Ceate the dome on design software radius by taking accurate measurements and cut some bending/laminating/glue cauls for base and top clamping on the bot.
Then cut individual pieces in say 1/8" or 3/16" or maybe even 1/4" stock to the outside shapes.
Once the pieces are cut, stach, glue and vac bag to cure over the clamping cauls top and bottom.
Remove, clean up edges and sand to completion.

wberminio
03-05-2009, 10:17 PM
It is part of the convertible top.I didn't see the car.Just the part.The original is 2 solid pieces.
I could cut the bottom curve on a band saw and sand. The top is curved and tapered .I was hoping to at least probe the top and sides.There are also
holes that need to be drilled and notches cut in precise locations for the hardware.It's a pretty complicated part. Thanks for all your input!

Erminio

lto
03-06-2009, 10:08 AM
I expect the original piece was steam bent, then machined with conventional woodworking tools. I hoped to find a replacement part at one of the suppliers below. I didn't see the exact part, but it may be worth contacting them.

http://www.lebaronbonney.com/
http://www.lebaronbonney.com/osc/catalog/index.php?cPath=469_532

http://www.thejeepsterman.com/

We do the steam bending for them.

http://www.barevillewoodcraft.com/

wberminio
03-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Louis
I checked.

The part was not steam bent.
That was my first thought.It is constructed of 2 maple sections joined in the center with large finger joints.
There is no real need for the 2 sections.
Knowing how Henry Ford thought things out,he probaly used scrape material or crating to fabricate these parts.
If I do this project, I would make it out of one piece.As far as steaming the part,I'm concerned about spring back on this piece.The tolences are rather thight and the size is rather substancal, it doesn't seem to warrent steam bending.
I know I can replicate this part in the conventional manor,I just thought there might be way to incorporate my Bot.
"Luigi" is itching to do some 3d work

Erminio

garyb
03-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Structural door wood for a 1936 olds that I have in the shop right now.
90% of it is cut on the bandsaw

mikek
03-11-2009, 09:19 PM
The 38 models were similar but had less of a discription. These guys make the parts you are trying to create. Might be easier and quicker and cheaper to source. There are front and rear bow pieces for each type vehicle it looks like. http://www.convertibletopguys.com/cgi-local/displaycat.cgi?cat=994

THERE ARE DIFFERENT 1939 "CONVERTIBLES." ONE IS THE 4 DOOR CONVERTIBLE SEDAN. THE OTHER IS THE 2 DOOR CONVERTIBLE COUPE. THERE IS ALSO A "CLUB CABRIOLET."
WE OFFER THE REPLACEMENT WOOD BOWS FOR ALL TOPS. HOWEVER, WE ONLY HAVE THE CONVERTIBLE COUPE (2 DOOR) CONVERTIBLE TOP.

THE ORIGINAL TOP WAS CANVAS CLOTH AND OUR REPLACEMENT IS MADE OF MODERN HAARTZ STAFAST CANVAS.

THE TOP IS MADE WITH A SOLID FABRIC REAR SECTION. THIS ALLOWS THE CUSTOMER TO EITHER INSTALL A CUSTOM REAR WINDOW SECTION AND GLASS, A PLASTIC WINDOW OR TO LEAVE THE REAR AS SOLID FABRIC.

OUR TOP IS MANUFACTURED FROM ORIGINAL PATTERNS. IT INCLUDES THE BOW PADS AND THE REQUIRED INSTALLATION TRIM.

ORIGINAL TOP FRAMES HAD WOOD 'BOWS' ATTACHED. THERE IS A FRONT ('HEADER') BOW OVER THE WINDSHIELD AND A REAR TOP BOW OVER THE REAR. OUR REPLACEMENT BOWS ARE MADE ACCURATELY AND STURDILY. THE REAR TOP BOW IS LAMINATED WITH LAYERS OF WOOD BONDED WITH MODERN MARINE GLUE. THIS IS MUCH SUPERIOR TO THE OLD STEAM BENDING PROCESS. THE RESULT IS A MORE STABLE AND ENDURING UNIT. THE FRONT BOW IS CARVED ON AUTOMATIC DUPLICATING MACHINERY. IT IS CARVED FROM A 'BLANK' MADE OF LAMINATED POPLAR SECTIONS. THIS IS A CHOICE UPHOLSTERY KILN DRIED HARDWOOD. THE REQUIRED RECESSES ARE MILLED, DRILLED, COUNTERBORED, ETC. ANY REQUIRED TEE NUTS ARE SUPPLIED.

1939 FORD Convertible Top Accessories Buy! Code Description Price
FB22. PAIR OF SIDE WOOD TOP TACKING FORMS, 4 DOOR CONVERTIBLE SEDAN. 175.00
FB17. REAR TOP WOOD BOW. 2 DOOR CONVERTIBLE COUPE 275.00
FB21. REAR TOP WOOD BOW. 4 DOOR CONVERTIBLE SEDAN 275.00
FB18. REAR TOP WOOD BOW. CLUB CABRIOLET ONLY. 310.00
FB16. WOOD FRONT BOW. 2 DOOR CONVERTIBLE COUPE 295.00
FB20. WOOD FRONT BOW. FOUR DOOR CONVERTIBLE SEDAN. 295.00

wberminio
03-12-2009, 08:53 AM
Thanks Mike

I'll look into this.
It's not worth making myself.