PDA

View Full Version : Speed Control for PC Router?

Call-Tech
01-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Has anyone found a speed control that will work with the PC router? I purchase one of the Harborfreight speed controls and it does not hardly work at all. I suspect it is because the PC has built in control for 10,000 - 21,000. The HF control made the router hammer around setting of 8, below 8 nothing but hum. 8.2 full speed. I could find a spot around setting of 8 that would give me erratic speeds of 2500 - 4500 rpm. But it did not sound healthy to my PC. Trying to get speed of 3000 rpms for engraving.

erik_f
01-22-2009, 05:16 PM
I asked this question when I first got my bot, but I guess the problem is the PC doesn't get enough juice when adjusting with a speed control. I think it could be bad for your router also. Sorry I don't have a better answer.

Call-Tech
01-22-2009, 06:56 PM
That was my gut feeling too. I think I am going to try and mount a 2nd device on my Z. I think I could make an adapter and put a slow speed router or drill and get better results and not risk damaging my PC.

drodda
01-22-2009, 10:38 PM
You can not use a speed controller with any router that has a built in electronic speed controller such as the PC router. You will burn up the router if you try this too much. They do not make a controller that will work.

The thing I was looking into was a gear reduction setup to allow you to shift gears and run the router slower through this gear reduction.

However like most projects this has been on hold till I find more time in the day. I bought my Bot to play and found out that work keeps me busier than I want. So the play has taken a back seat till work slows down.

If you buy a different router that does not have the variable speed switch then you could use the speed controller you purchased for it.

-D