View Full Version : Spoil Board Thickness

jim_vv
05-27-2009, 04:23 PM
I know that this issue has been beaten to death, but I can't seem to find a post that exactly answers my question. I am getting ready to go to my supplier to get some hardwood and a new piece of Ultra Lightweight MDF (my supplier is not familiar with Trupan) to replace my spoil board. My original spoil board was 3/8" thick(recommended by ShopBot)and I have always had great hold down with my two Fein Vacs. I was thinking of using 3/4" Ultra Lightweight MDF to get more mileage out of it. Any thoughts?

woodworx
05-27-2009, 04:43 PM
That will work. I started last year with 1 3/16" ultralite. After that was eaten up, I replaced it with 3/4 trupan. Works great. It is now down to 3/8", and I would say it is ready for a new one.

beacon14
05-27-2009, 07:38 PM
Thinner is not really better when it comes to spoilboards. 3/4" ultralight should work great with two Feins.

bill_lumley
05-28-2009, 06:06 AM
Just so I don't need a new thread I have a question here . I am replacing a spoilboard and I can either get Trupan or MDF Ultralight from Flakeboard http://www.flakeboard.com/docs/brochures/Flakeboard_eliteMDF_Brochure.pdf

The density numbers for the two products are about the same but I have not found the details specs on Trupan Ultralight.

As anybody seen any difference of note for these 2 products . I have had OK results with 2 Feins and another MDF light product but then I didn't seal edges or the bottom of my plenum . I am upgrading my plenum and sealing all sides while I add the 4 new Vacuum motors that have been talked about here . I am in Canada and need to go into New York to get Trupan or have my local supplier bring in the MDF product for some of us .

Thanks Bill

jim_vv
05-29-2009, 02:08 AM
Bill,

I found this information on an Industrial Plywood site:

"Trupan Ultralight: Medium Density Fiberboard that is ideal for lightweight projects such as mouldings, picture frames, suspended ceilings, indoor paneling, etc. This is 30% lighter in weight than standard MDF and less dense because more air is utilized in the manufacturing process and it puts less wear on machines and tools. Manufactured with Radiata Pine. A possible drawback may be fuzzy edges due to machining (in comparison to standard MDF or Ultra). Sold in metric sizes. Available in 12mm (1/2”) to 38mm (1-1/2”)".

Looks to me like "Trupan" and "Ultralight MDF" are synonymous?

cabnet636
05-29-2009, 05:55 AM
correct me if i am wrong, i have always understood "trupan" to be a brand name. i also have noticed very little difference in ultralite and mdf when it came to vacuum.

jim

woodworx
05-29-2009, 02:16 PM
trupan has no added formaldehyde. I would rather not breathe the stuff in, just a personal thing.

jim_vv
05-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Update...I bought a sheet of 3/4" MDF Ultralite made by Masisa from my supplier. I cut it into four pieces (four zones) and then sealed the mating edges with silicone. I then applied silicone to the borders of the plenum zones and a little more on the MDF edges and screwed them to my vacuum plenum. After cutting the spoil board to 96 x 48 I sealed the perimeter with silicone. The next morning I surfaced it. Now I have four truly independent zones and only have to mask off the unused area in the zone/zones that I have open.

Thanks to all for your input.

JIM