PDA

View Full Version : Looking for drill press depth adjustment tool

team08
07-12-2009, 09:30 PM
I am hoping you guys can help me out, I am looking for a depth adjustment tool for my drill press that you can set relative to the working piece, as opposed to the absolute position of the press. Most presses have an adjustment screw so you can set the depth to a certain place. I am looking for something that moves down with the drill head and stops the drill after it moves a certain distance into the piece. For instance, say I set the depth to 0.5", then if I drill into a 2" block, it stops at 1.5" from the bottom, and if I drill into a 3" block it stops at 2.5" from the bottom. Does this make sense? Thanks!

dougo
07-13-2009, 12:04 AM
I thought that was what the adjustment screw was for? Lower the drill bit til it touches the workpiece and then raise/lower the adjustment screw 1/2" above the stationary part of the adjustment rod. The drill bit will then stop 1/2" in the workpiece. If this is not what you are asking, just forget you ever saw this reply

team08
07-13-2009, 07:18 AM
You are correct, but when I am doing lots of different pieces in a row, it is time consuming to touch off and adjust. I started making my own tool for this, but am wondering if there is something already out there.

tmerrill
07-13-2009, 07:43 AM
Greg

I'm not sure what diameter bits you are going to be using, but if they are under 1/4" you can reverse a countersink attachment so the flat side is down. Set this to your 1/2" depth and just drill until you make contact.

To try and explain it better, look at the Fuller countersink set in this advertisment:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=13D18&FamilyID=3117

I am talking about the part that goes around the drill bit and is held in place by two allen screws. I have removed this part and put it on a straight twist drill (don't try it with the tapered bits) and used it like I described above.

Other companies make a similar product, some of which come with straight bits. You may already have some in your shop you can try.

Tim

jerry_stanek
07-13-2009, 07:54 AM
You could make a turret system like on the porter cable plunge router.

ed_lang
07-13-2009, 08:37 AM
Tim has a very good way for you to get the job done. If you don't have the collar in your shop, then maybe doing what I have done will work for you. Measure from the end of the bit and put a wrap of masking tape. Drill down till the tape is just touching the top of the material. Another way is to drill a hole in a dowel and use it as a sleeve to set the depth. I have used both and they work.

ken_rychlik
07-13-2009, 08:49 AM
Greg,

Another option would be to buy several benchtop drill press units and set each one for that thickness piece. It would depend how many different depths you are working with.

If you have to use just one press, you could start with a motise attachment for your drill press. It will give you a good start on attaching to your unit. Then modify it to your need.

gene
07-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Why dont you use a piece or threaded rod with 2 nuts that lock against each other or as ed said use a stop collar that locks to the drill bit its self.

rb99
07-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Gene could you explain that a bit more?

I like Ed's idea about the dowel...if you used a plexiglas block you could see the work.

RIB

gene
07-13-2009, 11:10 AM
On my drill press there is a place that the drill depth guide that travels up and down with the chuck. as it comes down it hits a stop that controls the depth. that may not work on all types of drill presses. The easiest way by far to control the drill depth is a stop collar that locks to the bit its self .

jerry_stanek
07-13-2009, 01:08 PM
You could use a stop block that uses the drill presses stop rod.

shoeshine
07-13-2009, 02:50 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38336

cant beat the price...

curtiss
07-13-2009, 04:02 PM
ditto the $1.99 idea...

You may want to splurge and have a few special bits set up for the special depths you want, that way you could spend a few hundred bucks...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38336

jerry_stanek
07-13-2009, 04:17 PM
I wanted to say step block like this

team08
07-13-2009, 09:31 PM
Wow, thanks for all the hints. I guess I should elaborate more now. The bit is actually a 3/8" bit, with a counterbore that is 3/4" I want the 3/4" counterbore to plunge in roughly 1/8". I did try making my own drill stop for the counterbore but at that depth, it gets clogged with the chips making the action difficult and inaccurate. Hence looking for something to travel down with the whole drill and touch off the piece. The pieces vary too much to make jigs. I will continue on my journey to make my own tool... maybe I can patent it and get rich (or make a lawyer rich)!!!

coolhammerman
07-13-2009, 11:06 PM
Attached are some quick down and very dirty snapshots of my delta 12" drill press with factory stop. You can see a toggle clamp in place from the last job I finished today. Among other things, I drilled 1,500 3/8" holes in SYP 2x4's. Don't ask why.

Note that the Depth Limit Rod is attached to the quill and moves with it. Only when the speed nut engages the non moving stop attached to the drill press casting does it prevent the quill from advancing further.

The second photo shows the Depth Limit Rod threaded into the casting attached to the quill and secured with a lock nut.

If I were faced with this situation. I would remove the Depth Limit Rod Assembly and either reattach it from the bottom so that it protruded down to only where I needed it to stop (aligned 1/8" up on the countersink). Or, I would replace it with some all-thread, or a long bolt the proper size. Since the assembly moves with the quill, it will stop at the proper depth (once I set it) regardless of the beginning height of the work piece when it comes into contact with the workpiece. If the off set from the work piece is too great, I would rig a perpendicular piece via two locking nuts on the Depth Limit Rod to move the contact point closer.

Just another mans opinion. Hope this helps.
Ronco

shoeshine
07-13-2009, 11:20 PM
oops Ron got to it before I did. yup I often just switch my stock stop with a threaded rod that I can set poking down to hit the piece at the depth I want. The only issue being that it is about 2" from the bit so it only really works on flat surfaces.

team08
07-14-2009, 07:18 AM
That looks like what I want! Now where can I find one? Guess I should look at a parts list and contact a distributor. Thanks so much!

coolhammerman
07-14-2009, 11:47 AM
Greg:
If I needed to make one like this and if my drill press didn't come with such an attachment, I would more than likely cut one out on my ShopBot. The assembly clamps to the quill via tightening bolt. Lay out one similar to the one shown in the photo and cut it with your Bot. Clamp it to the quill, install the stop rod and you're off! You can even adjust the contact point to be as close to the work piece as you need.

Good luck

coolhammerman
07-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Looks amazingly like a piston connecting rod, doesn't it?
Ronco