PDA

View Full Version : Best material for a door carving?

myxpykalix
07-24-2009, 12:26 AM
I need to replace my front door, frame and all and I wanted to make some kind of cool carving for the door. My thought was to buy a simple flat solid core door that i would rout out approx a .25 deep rectangle that i would insert this carving that i would make into it. Has anyone done anything like that?
What would be the best type of material for a carving that would be exposed to the elements (behind a glass/screen door)?
Anyone have any pics of anything like this?

rcnewcomb
07-24-2009, 10:09 AM
Keep us posted, Jack, because I am planning on doing the same thing.

woodworx
07-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Medex for paint grade, or glue up some VG doug fir for staining.

cabindoors
07-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Jack,

We use Alder primarily because of it's beauty and rot resistance. During the turn of the century, it was used in building bridges (because of it's rot resistance) but has now become one of the most popular woods for kitchen cabinets and doors (particularly rustic alder). In our opinion it makes very beautiful exterior carved doors. We don't normally stain our doors but we do apply several coats of Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane (clear satin).

We recently paid $4.15 BF and $3.66 BF for 5/4 and 8/4 respectively.

Good luck on your project.

Tom
www.coloradocarveddoors.com (http://www.coloradocarveddoors.com)

PS. Contact me if you are interested in a carved door shopbot program. All that you would need is to build the door.

myxpykalix
07-24-2009, 05:33 PM
Tom...It was your site and doors that gave me the inspiration to want to make a nice carved door to begin with.I will contact you via email. Thanks!

paulkiecka
07-28-2009, 11:54 AM
I Don't have any fancy 3d software but I have had some interesting results using a roundover bit for making an insert in a door. here is a sample of something I did with maple in a SC Birch door. It is interior but I thought it came out nice. we used a half inch panel and then trimmed it out with molding.

Paul

myxpykalix
07-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Paul thats neat and kind of how i thought i might make my door as an insert.

TOM JUSTIN-I emailed you 4-5 days ago, did you get my mail? I re-emailed you today, check your spam folder.