PDA

View Full Version : Grey HDPE at Menards- any good uses???

brian_h
03-13-2007, 11:44 PM
I was checking out a new Menards that just opened near my house and was thrilled to find they had baltic birch in 4x8 sheets in 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4. Then I saw HDPE and remembered seeing it here for use in sign-making. But... as I checked it out, it was one color, grey. The price was very reasonable, but I don't know if a single color has any real value for signs or other shopbot uses. So tonight I'm trying to learn about HDPE. What do you folks think? I know this stuff is good for exterior uses, but I don't think you can paint it, can you? Any other good uses?

Mayo
03-14-2007, 12:41 AM
I've seen the grey stuff at Menard's. As far as I know it is not HDPE but rather a plastic made up of other recycled plastics. All the pieces I have seen have a distinct curl to them as if they came off a huge roll before being cut to size. Or maybe it was just stored improperly. It might be OK for use as cut out address numbers if you place them onto a light colored background. I'm not sure about painting it - perhaps the new spray paints made for plastic? It's also very heavy. The finish did not look uniform and it does show scratches. Maybe another use would be for benches or seats if you had sufficient support. It would be intresting seeing what kind of thermal expansion/contraction it has.

jseiler
03-14-2007, 07:46 AM
I saw that stuff too. Warped as all get out and it doesn't compare in hardness to standard white hdpe. I could easily dig my fingernail into the menard's stuff. If feels like it would melt if routed.

steve4460
03-14-2007, 08:57 AM
That stuff cuts nice on the bot ,no melting at all . I have cut some letters out of it just to test it . works great If you can find a sheet that is flat .
bot on .

brian_h
03-15-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks everyone. I know someday I'm going to make a sign or two, just because I can. I'm a volunteer ski patroller and I could see doing a few signs for them. First I've got to figure out if there is an inexpensive material to use outdoors. That seems to be the catch.

jhicks
03-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Brian, Price is a curious thing and depends on how you value your labor sometimes.We find the most economical sign for 2 color routing is Color core or the other brands of material like it. There are several posts if you search for them but the keys are.
1) It's a bit pricey but not really that bad. Maybe $7.00 to $10.00 / sq ft but what does HDU cost?
2) It does not warp, crack, or rot outdoors in extreme temperatures and conditions like your ski hills. it does expand and contract slightly but as long as your mounting holes have a bit of slop to move its all good.
3) it comes in a variety of 2 color combinations like blue /White, red/White, Tan/Green etc.
4) Its like an Oreo cookie. One color in the middle and another on outsides so you route into the cookie top layer and expose the contrasting inner color.
5) Nothing sticks to it and very easy to clean and maintain. Base co-polymer polyethylene is basically recycled milk jugs so it lasts forever and holds colors very well as far as UV stability.
6) Design it, cut it, deliver it! So compared to low cost material one needs to prime, paint, assemble, and wait for paint to dry, Its really lower cost IF the colors work for you.
Check it out!
We have photos posted pon our web site and blog if interested.
http://whww.blogspot.com/
www.wellhousewoodworks.com (http://www.wellhousewoodworks.com)