PDA

View Full Version : Cheap, easy drafting software

bcondon
02-01-2009, 11:09 PM
I have been using Partsworks and Aspire over the last couple of months... It is going quite well.

===BUT===

It seems that there are some basic functions like trimming two objects to the same point, which require some real diligence as you enter and exit node select, cut vectors, then try to get the points to line up.

Joining and closing vectors will use the wrong end of a set of vectors so I futz around to get the vectors to close...

MANY MANY years ago, I used cad packages with graphic palettes where you could draw a couple of objects (ex: ellipse and line) ad you could trim the ellipse back to the line and it would delete the rest of the ellipse. It took only a few quick steps and 10 seconds later, you were done.

DO you know of an inexpensive ($150) drafting package with good trim, edit capability which then will write a file I can bring into partworks and/or aspire?

I am just trying to speed up my design side

thanks

Gary Campbell
02-01-2009, 11:20 PM
TurboCad?

gene
02-01-2009, 11:22 PM
Hi Bob,
I am suprised that aspire does not have a trim tool. I just purchased my copy and i hope that Tony ,Brian and the gang will put it in there if enough people to ask for it. Can you import a drawing from part wizard to aspire? Thanks Gene

thewoodcrafter
02-02-2009, 12:03 AM
I think Aspire ( or V-Carve) has a good trim tool.
I guess I am used to it and find no problem using it.

If you have a node to trim to, hit Control D.
To insert a node Control I.

gene
02-02-2009, 12:55 AM
I was thinking like the sissors in part wizard. That way you can overlay 2 shapes and trim off the part you dont want. I will look at it and see. Please remember i just got this software. I might need to stay quiet until i get a better handle on things.

thewoodcrafter
02-02-2009, 01:00 AM
I hated those scissors. I could never get them to cut what I wanted.

cutitout
02-02-2009, 02:04 AM
take a look at solid edge 2d draft -- I use export as DXF in partworks

http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/products/velocity/solidedge/free2d/index.shtml

lstovall
02-02-2009, 07:37 AM
Try e-bay, there are Turbocad versions from V3 to V15 anywhere between $6.50 to $300.00.

chodges
02-02-2009, 08:36 AM
Corel Draw will do that very easily using the Virtual Segment Delete tool in the Shape Tool flyout menu.

The only trick is that the two lines MUST intersect.

Hope this helps!

joe
02-02-2009, 09:22 AM
I agree with Charlie. You can purchase a full version on Ebay for less that $100.

I don't use Corel very much although I keep it handy. It's light years ahead of any Router/Design on the market.

At this time there are design programs and router programs that have added design capabilities. All the designers I know use Adobi Illustrator, Flexi, Corel, PhotoShop, which are true design programs.

beacon14
02-02-2009, 10:36 AM
I use DesignCad and have gotten quite fluent with it. The keyboard shortcuts are completely user-customizable. You can get the 2D version for 40 or 50 bucks and the 3D version for 100. Whatever you do don't get version 18, they have just introduced version 19 which is supposed to fix some problems with v18. I'm using V17.2, waiting for feedback on V19 before upgrading.

mike_ross
02-02-2009, 11:44 AM
I really like the scissors in part wizard. Much easier than the Vectric programs. Like Gene says, when overlaying two shapes, you just snip off the vectors you want to eliminate. Seems more intuitive to me and I would love to see it incorporated in the Vectric toolbox. Thanks for listening!

dana_swift
02-02-2009, 12:05 PM
I have used IntelliCad for years, its is very inexpensive and AutoCAD compatible. Reads and writes DXF files that the world uses. Its edit features do just what you want.

D

ky_trikes
02-02-2009, 05:11 PM
TurboCad made a free version (2D only) called LE (Learning Edition). You should still be able to find it using Google. If not, email me and I will send it to you.

fmihm
02-02-2009, 05:27 PM
The download version of AutoDesk's AutoSketch 9.0 is available for $29.95:
http://excelltium.com/download-Autodesk_autosketch_9.0-low-cost.php

http://www.my-oem.net/sale-Autodesk_AutoSketch_9.0.htm

"From concept sketches, information graphics, and floor layouts to presentations, electrical drawings, and home project plans, you can draw it all - quickly and accurately - with AutoSketch Release 9 software. Autodesk PSG;Autodesk AutoSketch 9.0. If you have an occasional need to create precise technical drawings - and you don't have the time to learn or remember a full-blown CAD program - you need AutoSketch Release 9. Full of automatic features that help you get started fast, it also includes power tools for preparing accurate, professional drawings. Autodesk PSG;Autodesk AutoSketch 9.0."

For reviews, see the Amazon ssite:
http://www.amazon.com/Autodesk-00309-051408-9000-AutoSketch-9/dp/B0002MAG0A

blake_koehn
02-02-2009, 06:29 PM
I am with Mr. Crumley, Corel Draw is the way to go. But the subtract vectors tool in Aspire works great to.

Also download Inkscape from www.inkscape.com (http://www.inkscape.com) it is a powerful vector program that is free.

larry_r
02-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Trimming in Aspire/Vectic can be done by going into the node edit mode. Zoom in as far as you can go on the line you want to trim or cross section, put the cursor where you want the cut and hit the "C" key and a new node will be placed. If you are doing a cross section, do the other line the same way. You can then highlight the part you want to delete and then hit the delete key. Not as easy as some cad programs, but not too bad once you get use to it.

Larry

bcondon
02-02-2009, 09:28 PM
I used the trim feature in Aspire and Vector and for some things, it works, for others very difficult.

Example is :

an ellipse (center = 7.0, 11.5)
Size - X5.34, Y10.68

A Rectangle Anchor is lower left x = 2.75 y = 1.7
square
Size x = 8.7 and y = 7.8

The goal is to trim the lower ellipse and the upper section of the rectangle.

As in Boston, we would say it is Wicked hard to trim this accurately. In a drafting system, I would pick the ellipse close to the rectangle and trim either the rectangle away from the ellpse or the ellipse away from the rectangle.

===

The reason for the question is that I am trying to automate making Quarterboards whose size is based on the lettering... Using resizing does not work well if there is a circle or ellipse because it manipulates those objects also...

===
Aspire and Partworks are wonderful! A good trim package would enhance the application a lot!
====

Gee if we could add in a programming language ...

the_doctor
02-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Hi Bob, I agree with Frank. I've been using Autodesk's CAD program for years. It's a standard with most Architects. I have them send me their files and I cut, paste and edit what I need. All the tools are excellent.

Carl

Brian Moran
02-03-2009, 04:14 AM
Bob,

For the case you describe, it sounds like you just want to weld the two vectors together - this is much faster than trimming and it will automatically join the outer boundary.

Just select your two vectors and hit the 'Weld Selected Vectors' icon - 2nd icon on the third row of the 'Edit Vectors' section.

Brian

curtiss
02-03-2009, 08:53 AM
You might be able to locate a cad lab at a local tech school where you could draw up a few things and save the file out to a dxf.

This might let you try out a few different types of software.

bcondon
02-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Brian,

will try when I get home...

bcondon
02-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Brian

Thanks for the tip. I had not used any of the three icons since going through the tutorials while in Durham for training. I was trying to put a rectangle with inward radiuses and the weld could not do it (but the rectangle creation can)

SO I did not have a reason to go back and play.

The second icon (Weld selected) worked like a champ! With further playing, I can easily put together quarterboards with only 5 minutes work! (instead of an hour)...

With that comment, making a quarterboard by hand would take days! I continue to have loads of fun while being amazed as an engineer..

Many thanks to everyone!

mdebruce
02-04-2009, 09:12 AM
Here is a TOP of the line 3D company that is giving away their 2D stuff. Its pretty good! (SolidEdge)
http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/products/velocity/solidedge/free2d/index.shtml