PDA

View Full Version : More inlay questions - clearing the pocket

brock_poling
04-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Ok, so I have figured out how to set up a male and female inlay component in Partworks. I even have the offset (partially) figured out.

The only remaining problem I have is how to clear the bottom of the pocket. I am routing the pocket with a 1/32" end mill cutter and I need to clear the interior material. I don't see how to do this in the software.

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

woodworx
04-28-2009, 07:24 PM
Define your border vectors, or if it is a square select the square. Then go to your toolpath tab and select area clear. You must select the depth, and the tool you are using. That is it. Good luck. Justin

john_how
04-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Not sure I understand the trouble. In my version of partworks at least, if I use the pocket toolpath tool, it will clear the entire pocket without an input from me telling it to do that. The only option I have on my software is to use a larger bit for rapid clearance of large areas. Make sure you are using the "pocket toolpath" tool for the pocket and not the "profile toolpath" tool. I don't seem to have any selection for "clear area" but that's what the pocket tool does.

brock_poling
05-03-2009, 03:38 PM
In playing with it I got it to do it by using the profile to cut the inlaid part (headstock logo) and the pocketing tool to cut the pocket. But when I use the inlay tool and tell it to cut a pocket it just outlines the inside of the pocket and doesn't take out the center material.

I guess it is no biggie, I can just use the pocket function, but I must be doing something wrong with the inlay feature.