PDA

View Full Version : A few basic SB questions

ironsides
07-22-2009, 11:39 AM
Hello SB owners,

I am considering buying a SB Buddy in the near future and I have a few basic questions:

blackhawk
07-22-2009, 01:23 PM
I have never lost power while running a cut file, so I will defer that answer to someone else. Each line of code is numbered. You can easily change your X and Y move speed on the fly while you are cutting. Z is not adjustable on the fly to my knowledge. Adjusting the Z, is rarely necessary. I don't have a spindle, so I am not sure about changing RPMs on the fly. Someone else will probably chime in on that one.

rb99
07-22-2009, 02:09 PM
I understand you put the computer and controller on a battery back-up, and then a special electrical sensor from the power to the controller.

When the power goes out the PC and controller stay on because of the power supply, and the software pauses the cutting until the power comes back on.

RIB

dana_swift
07-22-2009, 04:44 PM
George-

Q1:
As to starting at any line number, there is a feature in the SB3 program to do that. I have stopped cuts, and accomplished the restart in the middle. I use a more complex, but safer technique than the "start at line number" method. Be assured it can be done if you need it.

Q2:
All lines are numbered. Clearly. Referencing the line number is a normal thing to do.

Q3:
You can change the feed rate during the cut at any time. I do it very often. It is not "obvious" how to do it (shift > and shift <), but it works great.

Any time my chips don't look right, or the router is not working very hard, I can increase the feed rate a bit. Likewise if I hear the router laboring, I can back off the feed rate.

The real problem is the cut depth, but it lets the process go on until I can get the correct problem fixed.

The cut files are just text files so it is also possible to change feed rates with a quick edit, instead of recreating the files with a toolpath generator. Lots of tricks like that will become second nature with time.

----

My Buddy (BT-32) has served me well, I have had it almost two years and never regretted the purchase for a moment. Quite the opposite actually, I wish I had bought a bot sooner.

If I had it all to do over again, the only thing I would change is get a BT-48. I would like to have the few extra inches of width. The powersticks give me the extra length.

Good luck, and welcome-

D

knight_toolworks
07-22-2009, 09:46 PM
using the shift < > should only be a temp thing. the ramping does not change so cutting can be pretty jerky. your better off hitting space or enter choose insert command and use ms