PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using KCDW?

daski
01-18-2009, 10:51 AM
We are looking at software to get us all the way through the design to cut process. Is anyone currently using KCDW or another software for design to cut process?

paul_z
01-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Dave,

Please tell us more about what you want to design and cut. There is a lot of good software out there but they have different capabilities.

Paul Z

daski
01-18-2009, 11:10 AM
We design an build cabinets and closets. I'd like to talk to someone who actually using KCDw on the shopbot.

bstern
01-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Hi Dave,

I use KCDW to design and output cut-lists in my closet business.

I have designed my own CAM software to take the cut-list to shopbot code.

I think if I did it again, I would use their screen to machine setup. I have only given it a cursory look. It looks good for the money. They do have a shopbot interface.

KCDW has great support! I have had a number of request that John Murphy, the owner, took a full day of his time with me. Probably 4 times in the last year and half. At one point he made a new program release to accommodate my needs.

When researching, I found that most everyone said the program was the easiest for designers. I agree.
The program itself is very very powerful once you learn it. If you want to really customize it you will need some programming experience. It took me a great deal of time to understand how the programing works. The time will be well spent.

I think this is true for all complex programs.

Lastly, John seems to be working to imporve both closet and 32mm forward. I think the program will only get better.

Send me an email and I will send you my number if you want to talk.

Bob

wberminio
01-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Dave
I have a custom cabinet shop we build custom cabinetry and custom closets.
I have Kcdw and their One Button setup.I've been using Kcdw since it was only "Kcd".Before I ordered my Bot I spoke with John.He didn't "push" me to buy his package,but was very informative on CNC in general.He gave me some practical advice on getting started.I definitely agree with Bob,Customer service is exceptional(one step below
Shopbot).They have setup special files for specific situations for me.I wouldn't have been able to survive my 1st year in this CNC world without KCDW and Shopbot.John is a cabinetmaker and is very excited about CNC in general.A few years ago I was on Cape Cod and happened to pass by the Kcdw office.It was closed,but I knocked anyway.John Murphy opened the door and let me in.
He remembered me as a long time customer.That is the kind of people I like to work with.

beacon14
01-20-2009, 08:44 AM
I spent a lot of time looking at KCDW and CabinetVision at the IWF a few months ago. I opted for CabinetVision. My impression was that the biggest difference (besides the price) is that KCDW comes with certain construction standards, and if you wanted to alter the standards (ie, build a cabinet in a slightly different manner) you would send them the info and they would set up a new standard for you, but with CV you can create an unlimited number of construction methods by following a wizard format that covers all the joinery areas and options of cabinet construction.

Like Bob alludes to I also have immersed myself in the software and help files and even have had direct online training with a CV technician. They talked me into it as part of the purchase - expensive but worth it as it really helped me get up to speed quickly. I've been using it for almost 5 months now and am getting to the point where routine jobs are quick and easy and I feel I can create just about anything I might want to build. The best part is that all the cutlisting is automatic, once the job is built on the screen I can quickly check the parts list, go directly to nesting and have toolpaths ready to cut in literally a minute or less. I also get cutlists of any other parts so we can be cutting solid wood or drawer parts while the Shopbot cuts the sheet materials.

They have an optional closet module which has only been out a year or so. I find it works pretty well out of the box but once you learn how to create your own "user-created standards" you can tweak it to cover any custom configuration you might have.

Also to do a final rendering apparently takes hours with KCDW compared to minutes with CV. Many of my closet bids have 4 or more renderings so that's a problem.

Correct me if I have a mistaken impression about KCDW. I do know that CabinetVision has revolutionized the way I design and build cabinets and has really streamlined the process of getting a job ready for the shop. What's more is that since the entire job is laid out in front of my eyes on the computer the entire job ends up better thought out which leads to more efficient processing in the shop and smoother, faster installation in the field.

I'm not getting anything for saying any of this but am just reporting my experiences with a product that is new to me and is making a positive difference in my business.

wberminio
01-20-2009, 09:45 AM
I may a bit biased about Kcdw,since I have evolved with it through the years.
At first it was true any construction changes were done by sending you specs to the KCDw.They do have an uncomplicated wizard format for joinery,holes...and other specific areas of construction.I find I can quickly make custom renderings (3d is awesome-sold many jobs with this feature alone)
Any changes are quick and easy.I have done drawn closets/kitchens/baths/media rooms...just about anything I needed to build .Kcdw also produces custom cutlists.I do same as David-Cut solid parts,using the cutlist, while "Luigi"(he does have an Italian spindle after all) is cutting other cabinet parts.I get all my drawer/doors/drawer front sizes automatically,so I order my drawers and doors as soon as a job is approved.The entire job is automatically nested with tool paths ready to go.The included pricing program is also very accurate.As David said,these programs have revolutionized the way we do business.
Your right David,I am forced to completely think out my job before I hit the start button.I has lead to a more efficient shop all around.

I think both programs are very similar.Again, like I said, I am biased because I've used KCDw for a long time.I did look at other programs in the past,but that was too long ago to give an honest evaluation.
It is possible I could demonstrate Kcdw at my camp in May for anyone who may be interested.

Again, I repeat what David said,I'm just reporting on a product that 'is making made a positive difference in my business.'

Erminio

dray
01-20-2009, 03:04 PM
First off let me say that I'm cheap. I have posted this before. I think Kcdw is the best out there.

My problem is the high cost. I use the Kcdw design version (cheap) and then I actually build in Cabinet parts pro.

With KCDW I am a whiz I can create anything then I simply recreate the boxes in CPP and make custom parts in parts wizard.

This takes about twice the amount of time but it allows me more design freedom and to be honest right now I cant afford the $15k for KCdw.