PDA

View Full Version : Buying Decision - Choosing PartWorks/3D or Vectric Bundle?

gerryv
02-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Hi all (first post, I think),
I'm looking at buying a Shopbot Standard Buddy and am wondering about the differences in terms of additional features and flexibility between the current version of PartWorks/PartWorks3D and the 3-part Vectric Bundle that's a few hundred dollars more.

Also, does anyone know if I can pay the difference between the two to get the Vectric bundle with the purchase of a new machine?

I'm looking at a Shopbot standard Buddy as a learning tool for my son who just got laid off but I'm on a modest disability pension so need to be careful with my costs. That said, if there are significant benefits (perhaps file handling?) I'd still like to have him benefit from any added capabilities.

Finally, I'm wondering if any Canadian users have had any success in getting the extra $450 "crating" fee waived that our American friends aren't charged considering that I'm responsible for all shipping, duties, brokerage, etc. and going back and forth between the US and Canada the same transport companies are generally used?

Thanks kindly for the help,
Gerry

handh
02-09-2008, 10:14 AM
I'm pretty sure that they are the same. The only difference is that the Partworks only writes shopbot code.

andyb
02-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Gerald,
The PartWorks/PartWorks3D bundle and the Vectric bundle are one in the same. PartWorks only has the post-processor for Shopbot. The Vectric bundle has other post-processor. The Vectric bundle comes with PhotoCarve but that is the only difference. PartWorks bundle is included with the purchase of a new Buddy system. You can purchase PhotoCarve for around $150 from Shopbot.

Andy B.

GlenP
02-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Gerry, you have mail.

Brian Moran
02-10-2008, 04:12 AM
Hi Gerald,
As people have said, there is no major functionality difference between PartWorks/PartWorks3D and VCArvePro/Cut3D other than postprocessor support.

If you are only going to be running a ShopBot and you receive the PartWorks/PartWorks3D software bundled with the ShopBot, there is no need to upgrade to the Vectric versions.

Brian

gerryv
02-10-2008, 09:00 AM
The picture's getting clearer. Am I correct in assuming then that the difference is in the post processor support (file types I can export) but that I would have the same range of file choices, etc. as Vectric when importing 3D, scan, probe, etc. into my software?

Also, any thoughts on how Vectric's support and user forums would stack up to Shopbot's good reputation, even if you'd prefer to PM me.

Thanks much for the help, it's reassuring.
- Gerry

handh
02-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Gerry,

Sounds like you have it.

On support, Partworks is sold by ShopBot and would be supported by ShopBot but you need to check with them. I think even if you purchase the Vectric version from ShopBot they also would support that.

I can't see why you would need the Vectric version when you will get the Partworks with your new machine, but maybe I am missing something, but as always check with ShopBot to make sure this is correct.

Jeff

andyb
02-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Gerry,
The Vectric forum is just a great as the Shopbot forum for getting info. Stop over there and ask a question. You will get just as great a response as you would here. As Brian said "There is no major functionality difference between PartWorks/PartWorks3D and VCarvePro/Cut3D other than postprocessor support." So what applies to VCarvePro/Cut3D applies to PartWorks/PartWorks3D.

Andy B.