View Full Version : Proimity switch placement (complete confusion!)

myxpykalix
09-14-2006, 08:39 PM
Ok it looks to me like the instructions call for the switch to be placed on the roller closest to the end of the rail, you remove the nylon nut place the switch reattach the nut. Heres my problem. Heres where i get stuck:
--------------
Run the Y proximity switch cable over the wire guide to the back of the X carriage.

Run the X proximity switch cable through the X car to the back of the carriage.
---------------
(I have the switch on the left back wheel, but can't figure out where to run wire based on those instructions)See pic

ryan_slaback
09-14-2006, 10:17 PM
My proximity switches mounted on the steel of the carriage and not on the roller wheel. There was a small hole that the bracket fit through.

This was on an alpha that was bought new this July. Your mileage may vary.

scott_smith
09-15-2006, 01:11 PM
Looks like the instructions are for the older style gantry. (like this one) I think you’ll have to run your wire along the side of yours.

scottcox
09-15-2006, 01:23 PM
There were 2 small holes in the center of the side of the x-car where the proximity switch is located. I used a wire tie through those to run the wire along the inside of the car to the positive-x side with the cable carrier.

gerald_d
09-15-2006, 01:29 PM
You need to be very careful of touching the V-roller's seal if you mount anything on the same bolt. Any deflection/chafing of the seal will let the dust in. Rather mount away from the wheel.

scott_smith
09-15-2006, 05:00 PM
There is a good 1/4 spacer between the sensor bracket and the roller.

oscarg1971
10-17-2006, 01:18 PM
Would anybody happen to have pics of their proximty switch placement on a benchtop? Thanks, Oscar

dhunt
10-18-2006, 09:05 AM
Take greater care mounting the (bolt-head)TARGET on the rails, than we did.

2-3 years after two-part-epoxying the targets to the (cleaned) dk.blue paint surface of the rails,
they fell off,
thus pointing up the necessity to not just clean the surface,
but perhaps sand it thoroughly to give the epoxy some GRIP,forever!

steve4460
10-18-2006, 10:13 AM
There are some small screws that come with the switches . I think they are for drilling your own hole and then put them in there so that the target can't fall off . Thats what I did on mine .I had to grind the heads down a little so that I could get the target screw back in .

Bot on

billp
10-18-2006, 10:50 AM
It's also a good idea to be sure your target and switch are working properly, and then use some silicone glop to keep the target from pivoting on the screw which Stephan mentions above.
I don't know if later versions of the target have a second hole under/over the first one, but it would be a nice modification as it is not uncommon for the target to "move"in time. Once that happens you can expect a "surprise"as the gantry slams into your mechanical stops (which you should also check every once in awhile...).

steve4460
10-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Yes I used the douple stick tape that was on the targets . First to make shure that they are in the right position and then to hold them while drilling .

Bot on