PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading PRT Frame to Alpha Frame

erik_f
07-12-2005, 12:50 PM
I'm thinking about upgrading my prt x and y to an alpha x and y...do you think it would improve accuracy and ease of keeping things square? The upgrade would cost me about $1700 after shipping...Worth it?

elcruisr
07-12-2005, 01:57 PM
I upgraded and yes it is much stiffer and more accurate overall. The Z axis is a nice improvement as well.

Eric

erik_f
07-13-2005, 11:52 PM
Thanks...how much did the new Z cost you?

Erik

elcruisr
07-14-2005, 02:39 PM
To be honest I don't remember right now! We did the whole package in one shot and the book keeper paid the bill!

Eric

erik_f
07-15-2005, 09:04 AM
did you only upgrade the frames or did you go to the complete Alpha package? I went ahead yesterday and bought the new X and Y...don't have the cash to do the Alpha motors and control though. From what I've seen these are a much better design than what came with my standard PRT...Have you found keeping/getting things square much easier with these new x and y cars? Has anyone done anything with the old x and y cars? Is there any sort of market for them? Thanks guys.

Erik

elcruisr
07-15-2005, 09:51 AM
Yes, we went the complete Alpha upgrade. We relly needed the speed increase for our production. Absolutely love it. The x and y gantries are a big improvement and are much stiffer and stay square.

Eric

erik_f
07-15-2005, 09:59 AM
Thanks...

Erik

gerald_d
07-15-2005, 11:06 AM
Eric, what is your situation with twin y-motors now? Before your upgrade, you had added another y-motor on the other side of the y-car. Have you still got twin y-motors? If not, would you be tempted to go that route again - or does the new y-car make you entirely happy with a single y-motor? (I presume that you have single z-tower/spindles sitting nearest to the primary y-motor)

elcruisr
07-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Gerald, you assume correctly! So far I'm 95% happy with the single y motor. I handles the cutting load just fine even at full speed in 3/4" ply. I still wonder about the one sided load but can't complain about the parts quality or performance. The old PRT really needed those twin motors for our work, the Alpha carriage seems stiff enough to handle it so far.

Eric

gerald_d
07-15-2005, 01:56 PM
Thanks

erik_f
07-15-2005, 05:54 PM
I actually have a second y motor too...I had them put on a second rack on the X car so I can just slap the second motor on right from the get go...I think I'm finnally going to be where I've wanted to be with the shopbot accuracy wise...woo hoo!!

Erik