PDA

View Full Version : How far are the rails apart?

knight_toolworks
04-04-2007, 12:36 AM
making my table one thing I don't know is how far are the rails apart? inside to inside would be good.
I am not sure if I can get the angle iron they sit on perftly flat. I obught 1/4" but both rails have a slight dip in them. I htink I got it bent out but I need to check better tomorrow. the rails are thin enough they may follow the angle iron. though I wonder if it would be easier to shim the shopbot rails?
another question where are the boilts to fasten the rails? I have not dug through the shopbot box yet. so it whould be handy to know. or if even it came with them since I did not buy the table.

myxpykalix
04-04-2007, 01:04 AM
Because you probably don't have a tool to measure accurately enough (a tape measure won't do it) and giving you a deminsion may not be accurate here is what i did.

On both ends i used those squeezeclamps to hold the rail to the lower C rail. lowered my carriage onto one end of the rails. I had the carriage hooked to a cumalong attached to the ceiling joist because i had no one to help put it together plus incase the clamps didn't hold it wouldn't crash to the floor.
When the carriage was seated properly on the rails on that end I drilled one hole on each side and ran a bolt thru it and just hand tightened.
Then i ran the carriage down to the opposite end and repeated the same process. I pushed the cart back and forth many, many times (because it was fun prior to hooking up motors) to make sure it ran smoothly.
You need to make sure your rails are parallel to the table surface also. I stuck a sharpie marker in the collet and drove it down the table and made a line and I line my material to that line so i know if my rails are off my line is parallel to the carriage. Or you could run your bit down the side of your spoilboard and then line your material to that edge.

knight_toolworks
04-04-2007, 11:33 AM
I was planning on gettng one really straight and accurate then make a jig to set the distance apart.

ryan_slaback
04-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Steve, If I remember correctly from setting up my alpha, the jig they suggest you use is the carriage itself.

knight_toolworks
04-04-2007, 10:59 PM
I thought at first it would be easier to use a bar to get them close so I can drill the holes for them right away