View Full Version : Safety question

bob_s
05-09-2009, 08:35 PM
I am new to this - running a prs Alpha with a HSD spindle. If I need to change bits in the middle of cutting a project, how much should I shut down to be safe? I have always unplugged a tool before I put my hands in harms way, what is the proper protocol with this tool? I wanted to switch from a 1/4" end mill to a 1" V, and decided to just wait for an answer to this. I have a Z zero plate, but wouldn't I lose my X,Y zero if I shut off the power to the whole system before changing the bit?
thanks

knight_toolworks
05-09-2009, 09:48 PM
no need to worry you have to run a new toolpath for each bit. your spindle is started manually so it will not start on it's own. the bot will only move if running a tool path or if you have it setup to run manually.

benchmench
05-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Outputs 1 and 4 (the round lights on the control panel) have to be on (lit) to start the spindle. When you run a part file, the SO 1 command at the start of the file turns on the spindle, the SO 0 at the end of the file turns it off. You can change bits safeley whenever output 1 is off (unlit). You can test this by toggling output 1 to off (ALT-1 on the keyboard) and push the start button for the router. It should not come on.

benchmench
05-09-2009, 10:33 PM
That's SO,1,1 for turning output 1 on
and SO,1,0 for off.

bob_s
05-09-2009, 11:40 PM
So if output #1 is off it essentially acts as an additional safety switch.

sounds good - just being extra cautious.
thanks

harryball
05-10-2009, 07:52 AM
You can still slice your thumb with those sharp bits though... I have proof. :-)

/RB