PDA

View Full Version : New sign, new finishing materials :-)

jhicks
05-16-2007, 10:31 AM
These are a new sign just installed fabricated in Medex, V carved text, relieved/dished logo background with raised lady and circle art.
Major lines routed with 120 deg. V, minor lines with 90 deg V, logo background with .375 BN and fine detail with .062 end mill to develop crisp outlines.
Base brown sprayed, masked, cut, and secondary beige color coat sprayed, followed by hand brush in fine lines for touch up and orange details in V.
Size is 32" x 120" Finished with 2 part poly urethane prime/sealer and custom color coats.
We were very pleased with outdoor material from
http://www.icaamerica.com/
Beautiful finish quality and rapid process time. Pricey compared to acrylic latex but no comparison on finish
http://whww.blogspot.com/

myxpykalix
05-16-2007, 03:03 PM
All your stuff is very cool. Good job.

fleinbach
05-16-2007, 07:58 PM
Great work Jerry

harryball
05-16-2007, 09:16 PM
That's great looking. If I may ask, what did you use for mask?

rookie432
05-16-2007, 11:02 PM
Jerry,
I love this piece. Great art deco feel.(did you design or was it supplied logo?) Great milling strategy.

Love your enthusiasm. No job too big or small, Like the bugs too.

Bill jarvis

knight_toolworks
05-16-2007, 11:56 PM
very nice

jhicks
05-17-2007, 09:57 AM
Thanks guys, As far as mask goes, we used some avery vinyl mask we had in the shop. I think the key is this 2 part catalysed polyurethane prime and finish coat was glass smooth so mask had excellent adhesion. We cut with HerSaf V cutters and new replacement blades to insure crisp edges.
We have historically used acrylic latex but have been searching for a higher end finish that we could rely on for outdoor signs in Medex and mix our own colors. It is definately a high VOC solvent process but I am also investigating their water based material and hope to lean that way as we learn more.Since parent co is in Italy they have been under pressure to go water base and have had some time in the euro market with it.
The art was customer supplied by their graphic artist and seemed to lend itself well to the strategy my daughter Whitney ended up with (She gets all credit for design and cut/fab strategy, My son Ben gets all credit for fab and finishing). Unfortnately photos don't really do it justice as the shadows really develop a nice look in sunlight or night lights.
Appreciate the kind feedback and always love to see your guys stuff as well.