PDA

View Full Version : Practice indexer stuff

pfulghum
11-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Here are a few pics from a simple poplar 3.5" round column used for practice.

Picture of rose wrapped 1/2 way around column

myxpykalix
11-27-2009, 09:24 PM
pat i like your spirals, how did you do that? What are you using to wrap your designs? And the thing that impresses me the most is all that sawdust! A lot of guys have shops so clean you could eat off the table...that's just not right!
Good job pat, looks great.

pfulghum
11-27-2009, 10:04 PM
For the "rope" cuts, I did use the SHopbot Supplied indexer tool. I tend to use it a little different than most. I don't zero off the midline of the rotation axis. I just tell the program to use Radius=0. And set the Zero plane to where I want it. I just found that to be easier.

To access the "Indexer" program.. from the main shopbot contral software ... Tools Indexer....

I use a "rope moulding" bit from Magnate.

Take a look and read through... http://legacywoodworking.com/technique.cfm?techniqueID=7

In my case, My bit was the 1.5" Rope Bit. That gave me a spacing of 1.5", 3 3/8" diameter column.

#Starts = Pitch / Spacing.

Pitch = 2 x Diameter (in my case 6.6)

#Starts = 6.6 / 1.5 = ~4

4 starts

-- Pat

myxpykalix
11-27-2009, 11:47 PM
pat i started with a legacy 900 before i got a shopbot so this is very familiar to me. The legacy is a poor mans indexer.

mikeacg
11-28-2009, 06:44 AM
Pat,

I am fascinated by the indexer. My next machine will have to have that capability!

Jack,

I am a poor man! Have you seen any of these machines for sale used? Any hints on what to look out for?

Mike

myxpykalix
11-28-2009, 07:51 AM
I (might) be willing to sell mine. The minute i do i know i will need it for something though. I have a 900 with almost EVERY addon. It has the drive motor and TONS of stuff. Contact me off forum if interested,

However for what i have invested in my legacy and ALL add ons even at a deep discount you could probably buy/build a indexer for the shopbot cheaper and have more functionality. I could check to see what all i have in addons and the prices and give you a discounted price if interested.

mikeacg
11-28-2009, 08:42 AM
Jack,

You've got mail...

I have a Buddy so no indexer for me!

Mike

navigator7
11-28-2009, 08:55 AM
I have a Buddy so no indexer for me!

Mike

Michael, you've some 'splaining to do!

What am I missing other than money?

mikeacg
11-29-2009, 07:09 AM
Chuck,

The indexer is typically mounted on the end of a standard table in a well below the surface(due to the size of the indexing unit). Since the gantry on the Buddy does not move, my understanding is that the frame, motor, guide rails, etc. would all be in the way. If you did a dedicated machine, you might be able to pull it off but I don't know enough about it to be sure. Anyone else know if this would be possible?
Mike

myxpykalix
11-29-2009, 07:26 AM
there was a guy, i believe on the indexer thread who posted a picture of a standalone indexer powered by shopbot control software. I think it was posted within the last couple months. So i know it's been done but can't give more clues then that.

mikeacg
11-29-2009, 07:51 AM
And don't forget Brady's little project:
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/33571/37894.html?1232255271

He raise the gantry to get more clearance...