PDA

View Full Version : Making cabinet part

bjseib
01-04-2005, 08:04 PM
I was wondering if anyone is using their shopbots for making cabinet parts. I need something to cut my sheets to size, cut dados, and make shelf pin holes. If anyone is using their prt or alpha for this kind of operation, please tell me how the shopbot is working for you as far as speed, accuracy etc. I just don't know if the shopbot is a good investment for my cabinet shop. I would like to be able to build 6-8 kitchens a month. If anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it.

weslambe
01-04-2005, 09:38 PM
If you make 6 to 8 kitchens a month, you could use the shopbot and my cabinet door software. Go to www.doorbot.net (http://www.doorbot.net) and look at the doors that I am making on my PRT96 using my software.

I think you'd save a fortune on doors alone and would probably pay for the shopbot with the savings in about 2 months!

Wes

ron brown
01-04-2005, 10:12 PM
Brent,

A Shopbot can produce cabinet parts easily. At one time I was building cabinets. I drilled all my shelf holes and cut all my dados with the shopbot. It is more accurate than by hand and template.

I also built all my doors and dovetailed all my drawers on the ShopBot. The parts all fit. I never had any trim or fitting problems that weren't operator induced.

Ron

sawkerf
01-04-2005, 10:44 PM
Brent, I purchased an Alpha to produce cabinet parts and MDF doors in Oct of '04 and it has dramatically increased my production and accuracy. I drill all system holes, cut dados and cut out my coutertop PB. My Alpha has has also replaced 1 full-time employee. The best part is that it's never late, it only makes a mistake when I tell it to
and it never ever drinks himself crazy on Friday night. I use KCDw Cabinet software and Right now I have to re-toolpath everything because I never asked the right question on how to get the parts from KCDw to ShopBot. That's in the works though, all it takes is one more bit of software.Kip Stevens

jthelen
01-05-2005, 05:34 AM
Kip,
What is the price range of that KCDw software?
What do you think of it?
Jim

jsfrost
01-05-2005, 08:44 AM
Ron,
How did you fixture to cut dovetails in the drawer sides?

Jim Frost

ron brown
01-05-2005, 09:52 AM
Jim,

Parts were held vertically. There was a slot cut into the table. I setup to do "pairs" of parts before changing. There was an alignment bar and a stop bar for length.

Ron

jsfrost
01-05-2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks, Ron.

This is something I want to do someday. So much to learn, so little time.

Jim

sawkerf
01-06-2005, 11:29 PM
Jim, I'm sorry, I don't know how much the whole program would cost. I've been using it for about seven years now, seems like it was around $2500 for the cabinet maker version (design, cutlists, 3d renderings). It was $4000 to upgrade to the CNC machining version, plus I bought their MDF door package for another $1500. I didn't realize it at the time but I still need a "Post processing" software that will allow me to truly use all of the shopbots potential, thats another 3K or 4K. Kip

johnnie53
01-07-2005, 09:37 AM
Kip, Take a look at Profile Labs Cad Cam software. A friend bought a Warthog and uses KCDw,KCDw's CNC link and Profile Labs soft ware which does all the nesting. One week after installing it the got it running perfectly, the cost for Profile Labs software is $1500. Thanks for the information on doing cab parts on your new Alpha unit, I'm picking up my 99'PR96 on Sunday,and about Tuesday I will be back on line asking questions, I'm looking forward to getting the older bot.This summer if all goes well I'm buying a faster new machine the Alpha is on my list,as is one other brand.

denny
01-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Kip

When did you upgrade your KCDW to CNC for 4,000 dollars? I have KCDW designer and when i called to find out the cost of upgrading so I could run a shopbot, They quoted me 7,000 dollars, which was steeper than I was comfortable with for their program

Denny

Jeffrey R Bowman (Unregistered Guest)
01-11-2005, 09:53 PM
I used my Shop Bot for cutting end panels before I closed my shop and went to work for my biggest competor They say if you can't beat them join them.
Here is a copy of my original post. a few months ago I still have the machine for sale .

Original Post.....
PRT96 4x8 Cutting area
ST96 Steel Table
(2) Z Axis
Colombo Spindle 5 HP RS90 220V 3 Phase
2nd Z has Makita Router 2 1/4 hp
Z Zero Plate
Proximity Switches
Remote Stop Switch
Remote xyz Switch and stop
FPZ 6.2 HP 220-440V/3Phase Vacuum Pump W/Starter Switch 4 Zone Control w/waffle board
ShopBot Part Wizard 1.0
Tool is set up an running used in cabinet shop for panel processing. Spindle with 3/8 Compression Spiral in main Z works great for cutting panel. 2nd Z with (Makita) Fitted with 5mm in line boring bit drills shelf pins. 3/8 Bit used for cutting Dados. Complete End panel machined in one operation. Also used for Making Closet Panels, Signs, Profiled Parts, Dental Mold, MDF Doors.
Will be willing to train on use and programming teqniques. Many standard closet parts and panels already programmed. Machine was purchased in Feb 28
2003. (Better Shape then New, Its Set Up and Running) Selling Do to Closing of Shop. Asking 13,500 Located in Sanford NC.

I Forgot my log in so I will post this as unregesterd

sawkerf
01-13-2005, 08:01 PM
Denny, I already owned the Cabinet Maker Version of KCDW, It's a little more expensive the the designer version. That's the difference. Kip

johnnie53
01-14-2005, 09:46 AM
Same thing here I have a lic for Version6 KCDw. I was quoted $4000 for the CNC link and $395 to upgrade to version 8. I currently use Cabnetware 4.24 but to do Framless/closets and get a CNC link I would have to sell my house to upgrade everything,plus each and every year I didn't upgrade! KCDw is the affordable solution even if you put out the $7,000, plus you still need the Cad/cam software, add another $1500 to $3000. Shopbot is working on a Cabinet Design program(not sure which one) with all the needed software,and acording to the person I talked to at Shopbot it will be up and for sale in about April, which could be maybe a little less in price, but a turnkey product from the computer to the nested panel. This is somthing the other CNC manufacters are not currently doing very well with,they want to sell you there machine and some software and then you still have to wing it somewhat to get it all to work.