PDA

View Full Version : Inset router bits

andre
01-10-2008, 09:21 AM
I'm considering purchasing an amana insert v bit. The bit I am looking at uses only one cutter knife and was wondering how that would affect cut quality. I would appreciate opinions from any body with experience with these bits.
Would I need to adjust the rpms? I am using a router not a spindle so I have only so much control over rpms. I am v carving in to hard woods, maple oak, walnut. Any ideas?

rhfurniture
01-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Just bought a 90 deg Amana. I'll let you know how it goes. I use KWO straight insert one knife bits all the time and find them excellente. The only question with one knife insert bits is how well they are balanced - I've had a trend (UK) 25mm one that was so badly balanced, that I could improve it by grinding material off the side in a suck it and see sort of a way. However the KWO ones are (near) perfection up to 20mm dia anyway. Unfortunately KWO do not make V cutters.

rhfurniture
01-10-2008, 10:30 AM
Just run up the amana. The balance is not too bad - middling. I can run it OK in my spindle, but it isn't as well balanced as the 20mm KWO. It will be a while till I cut with it, But it looks like it will work fine.

bill.young
01-15-2008, 07:59 AM
Hey guys,

FYI, I just got an email from toolstoday.com and they have the Amana insert v-bits on sale, with free shipping on orders over $35. Don't know if these prices can be beaten elsewhere, but figured I'd pass it on.

http://www.toolstoday.com/p-5671-v-groove-miter-fold-signmaking-cnc.aspx

Bill

rhfurniture
01-15-2008, 08:51 AM
I got mine from there - they ship overseas (but not for free...)
R.

procarve
01-15-2008, 02:21 PM
I have been using the insert vbits from Hersaf and they run very nice in the router. They also use a single insert.

I use the 120 and 140. The 90 can be tough to paint if you are planing on painting the letters with a brush.

I haven't used the Amana bits.

Bill