PDA

View Full Version : Tightening

coach
02-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Every time I change bits I need to tap the bit to remove it. It is never easy and this concerns me as I really do not want to hit the sides of bits.
My collets are clean and have no debris in the slots.
Any suggestions on how to judge "tight enough"
Thanks,,,,,Dave

harryball
02-05-2008, 09:47 PM
What type of router/spindle?

If it's a spindle, are you snapping the collet into the collet nut before putting it on the spindle? The collet and collet nut should be a single unit when installing it.

Carbide is brittle, you are right not to want to tap the bit.

RB

Gary Campbell
02-05-2008, 10:23 PM
David..
"tapping" the collet is an old, but useful router trick. If you have a router, I would imagine there is some warnings about this, but I have a dozen PC routers that I have done this to thousands of time over the years.However, in the case of a spindle, and due to the precision design of the ER25 collet & nut, I would not reccommend this. The collet can be damaged. Just unscrew the collet nut another turn or 2. It may even take a slight twist with the wrenches and the bit will drop out.
Gary

butch
02-05-2008, 10:24 PM
David
It sounds like many others of us in here. I have a 2.2hp spindle. When I first started to use the spindle collets I thought it was loose in the nut. This caused the bit to jam in the collet, plus allowed the bit to slip and move around. Once I talked to the tech at ShopBot, and he told me that the collet actually slips into a slot in the collet nut, my problems disappeared.
Bet that is the problem. Seemed so simple..once I knew!

Butch

steve4460
02-05-2008, 11:22 PM
Hi David
If you have a PC Router then once you losen the nutt you have to losen it up until it get harder to spin again ( about 3-4 turns ) then just losen it up over that point and your bit will come loose with out spinnig the collet of compleatly .
I hope this makes sense.
Bot on

coach
02-06-2008, 03:13 AM
When I go to work I will check the collet fitting into the nut.
Thanks all for the input........
David

ron_varela
02-06-2008, 04:30 AM
The cause for the bit to stick is friction, this is due to heat, heat is the speed you use and the pressure on the bit, PC is known for this because of using 2 wrenches, not tight enough will cause it to spin and you will never know it.
I have had this problem for the last 25 years just using a hand held router.
Just an old mans 2 cents worth.

Gary heard you had one hell of a camp, wish I could have made it but after watching CSI Miami and my old age the scenery would have killed me before I hit the bridge.

PS: Tell Mr. Buffet he has a great bar and I promise to park my jet ski between the cones next time…..lol
Your good friend
Ron

bill.young
02-06-2008, 04:49 AM
Hey guys,

If you have a spindle it's critical that you do the step that Bruce talks about in his message above, and snap the collet into the nut before using it. I've been working on a video to show how it's done and posted it on youTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gMezORPi8M

Bill

john_l
02-06-2008, 05:21 AM
Wow, once again.. great job Bill.

wberminio
02-06-2008, 07:56 AM
There was a recent thread on using a torque wrench.
How important is it use one in tightening the collet?

Erminio

harryball
02-06-2008, 09:46 AM
I don't use a torque wrench, I tighten it very well based on feel. As several have stated it's very difficult to over tighten with the standard wrenches. I've never had a slippage issue and don't fret over it.

RB

wberminio
02-06-2008, 10:40 AM
Robert

That's what I done with my hand routers for years.
I was just concerned about damaging my spindle.

Erminio

harryball
02-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Yeah... that expensive spindle can give you cause to think. I found my self leaning on the wrench as I get up and down, I had to break myself of that habit. I figure it can't be good for the spindle. My biggest concern with a loose collet would be bit slippage and dropping. With over tightening I would hope that the collet nut would be the scraficial component (i.e. built weaker) Someone may have information to confirm or deny that.

RB

knight_toolworks
02-06-2008, 12:50 PM
it is hard to overtighten the wrenches are too short. I find it seems to take more effort to tighten 1/4" and 1/8" bits over 1/2" though with the torque wrench thats not possible, bit it just seems it takes more effort.

butch
02-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Bill
I liked your video.
Thanks
Butch

bill.young
02-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Hey Butch,

Thanks. They're all done using the free version of Sketchup and the MovieMaker program that comes with Windows. I just work on them when I have a little free time (which means not very often I'm afraid), but they're fun to do and I think the Sketchup style does a good job of illustrating things.

Bill

butch
02-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Bill
I have been using Sketchup..not as well as you, but I am getting to the point I can print out an image for presentation. Rather fun. Good to know to what extent that Sketchup can be used.

Butch