PDA

View Full Version : File to big to run?

ken_rychlik
03-31-2009, 05:09 PM
I am trying to run a large file and it works on my laptop in preview mode. When I put it on the shopbot pc, it loads, then puts a bunch of zero's and one's up for a few seconds and cuts off like it's finished, but the machine never moves. same thing in prievew mode. Any ideas? It is a last supper plaque that I am trying to run for our church bazar fund raiser.

Kenneth

ken_rychlik
03-31-2009, 06:15 PM
I found another clue to what may be happening. The file size is 47 thousand lines and on the shop pc just before I run the file I clicked on the box to the left of the file name. It bunched it all together and called it a two line file.

Now I just need to figure out how to stop it from doing that. lol

Kenneth

mitch_prest
03-31-2009, 06:20 PM
I just ran a large file on the bot.... 450 thousand lines.. it ran on the machine but I could not get it to go in preview mode... perhaps there is a limit to what you can do in preview..

mitch

Gary Campbell
03-31-2009, 06:42 PM
Kenneth..
How much ram on your machine? Our shop computer with xp and SB3 running uses 458K before a file is opened. My design computer (Vista)with SB3 in preview mode shows 1.5GB used without a file open. (with 3.6.1beta24)

I would not recommend less than 2 gigs of ram on an XP computer and no less than 4GB on a Vista version. Nothing peps up an old box like ram, and maybe a video card with 512meg. The Windows page file is overrated...unless you prefer to wait for it over $30 of ram.
Gary

ken_rychlik
03-31-2009, 07:39 PM
I went in the editor on the shop machine and if I put a space between each line, it is trying to run. No way I want to put 47 thousand lines of spaces in it though. lol

Ram could be an issue. I think it is maxed out at 1 gig

It shows all of the file correctly in the editor, but not when it's loaded.

Scratching my head. No hair up there already.

Kenneth

ken_rychlik
03-31-2009, 11:32 PM
I found a work around for the issue. I coppied the file from sb part editor and put it into microsoft word. In word, I changed it to double spacing, then coppied it back to sb editor. Now it runs the file just fine. I'm not sure why I had to do it, but it worked.
Kenneth

bcondon
04-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Ken,
You say it works now... The other thought would be to take the file, make 2 files (first half, second half) then make a main file to drive both files:

JZ, 2.000
M2,0.000, 0.000
FP,FirstHalfFile,,,,,,,2

JZ, 2.000
M2,0.000, 0.000
FP,SecondHalfFile,,,,,,,2

[I think that is the correct number of commas - off the top of my head]

Brady and friends can tell us if the FirstHalfFile is unloaded from memory (freeing it up) when SecondHalfFile is run.

FYI

JZ, 2.000
M2,0.000, 0.000
FP,FirstHalfFile,,,,,,,2
FP,SecondHalfFile,,,,,,,2

is NOT the same because the last point in
FirstHalfFile will be the reference point for
SecondHalfFile

[been there... so much for that metal clamp and endmill]

ken_rychlik
04-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Bob, I thought about that, but there was another small section of the part that was only 3 thousand or so lines, and it did the same thing to me. That's what led me to investigate breaking the file into double spacing.
It turns out the old pc in the shop only has 348 of ram, but it's going strong. I did play with the virtual memory settings and allocations, and opened them up, but it didn't solve anything with the problem that was going on.

Thanks for all the helpfull thoughts.

The file is running strong and looking good.
Kenneth

ljdm
04-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Don't know if pre-4g SB3 possibly uses less ram, my shop pc is XP Home, with only 512 on it. Haven't had any problems with large files. Again, SB3.4.27 may use less memory than newer versions.

bcondon
04-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Ken,

How or why did you think to do what you did to fix it?

I would have thought to jump on my left foot chanting, while spinning counter clockwise on April Fools day before coming up with your fix!

Bob

ken_rychlik
04-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Bob,

When it wouldn't run there was the exclamation point just to the left of the file name. After you click on load part file, but before you hit go. I clicked on it and it showed two lines of info. I knew it had tons of info and that's what got me scratching my bald head about it. I checked some other files that ran fine and at that point it showed how many lines of code were in each correctly. Then I just needed to figure out how to make it see the correct number of code lines.