PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Board - Grapes

butch
12-20-2009, 10:11 PM
I made this for a customer to put in the hutches I am building. Thought I would show it. I used the glazing proceedures found here.
http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6622
Although I used acrylic paint, not glaze to do the coloring. I then applied two coats of lacquer to seal it in.
It is 17x10" maple board with purple heart edges. The other side is raw and finished with mineral oil. I glued the boards up using Titebond III, to give it some water resistance.

myxpykalix
12-20-2009, 11:11 PM
butch wouldn't you consider this more decorative then functional? It would be a shame to mess up such a nice peice of art. I bet you spent as much time painting as you did cutting. I love the detail of the different color grapes and leaves. Very nice.

dlcw
12-21-2009, 08:36 AM
Butch,

That is beautiful. I love the detail in the painting. Like Jack said, it would be a bummer if it got damaged by use. But what an incredible show piece.

Don
www.dlwoodworks.com (http://www.dlwoodworks.com)

phd1658
12-21-2009, 08:53 AM
Outstanding work, Butch.....puts my meager efforts at a cutting board to shame. I'm wondering how much below the surface you have the relief and what thickness your board is.

navigator7
12-21-2009, 08:54 AM
Well ....hold it!
Damaged by use?

Turn it over...use the working side but it is stored and showed off grape side up.

I think this area is where Shopbots excel.
IMHO...Personalizing this cutting board with a name adds emotion and meaning for the owner, creates an unpaid salesperson and is a work of art.

Now.....When can we see the matching rolling pin?
Perhaps they look like women's feet stomping grapes?

butch
12-21-2009, 09:14 AM
Thanks;
The board is 1" thick, and I just let the carving default the depth - but it is .3216 deep.
Painting was pretty easy - I basically just used the glazing technics. I painted it on, and then highlighted with damp rag and sandpaper. It did take two coats of paint to get the desired effect. But I just used paint like a glaze.
Now that is a good idea - Need to get an indexer and make that rolling pin - pie with purple feet all over it - that would be unique!
Now if I can get the shopbot to cut exact sizes, I can get back to working on the hutch this goes in.

mikeacg
12-21-2009, 09:21 AM
I've been doing carved cutting boards for years (by hand) and one of the comments I have heard regularly is that "it's too pretty to use!" so most people flip it over and use the back. If you get an indexer and do relief on the rolling pin, it will not be usable (unlike the cutting board) so how about just doing really nice carved handles. You could do grapes and vines for handles and the rolling pin would still be functional.

Mike