PDA

View Full Version : JAGGED LETTERS

coach
02-18-2008, 05:18 PM
I have been using a v bit and some conical bits for carving letters in signs.
I cannot seem to get smooth lines in many letters.
Especially O's and some longer lines in some letters.
I have an alpha and cut at 2.5" per second with unacceptable quality.
Any suggestions will be helpful.

dray
02-18-2008, 07:12 PM
Should be smooth as silk.
What material are you cutting, what router/spindle speed, raamp values etc

jshoes51
02-18-2008, 08:16 PM
What font are you carving? I had the same problem with Papyrus, then discovered the font is supposed to look that way.

coach
02-18-2008, 08:57 PM
I have tried mahogany, hard maple, particle board and MDF. I have a 2.2 spindle at 2.5 ips
at 30,000 rpm
I have tried almost every font available with part wizard.
I don't know what you mean by ramp values,,,,,kinda new at this.
Thank you,,,David

john_l
02-19-2008, 09:16 AM
I would zoom in and look closely at the vectors of the font you are trying to use. Is this with all fonts or just one? Mostly that bot will do what it is told.. except for things like loose router spndle, loose z, etc... look carefully at what you are sending it.

dray
02-19-2008, 02:49 PM
David please post or link a picture of the bit you are using and the cuts you have made

coach
02-19-2008, 05:01 PM
I used English III font which is cursive and a v-bit font. When I zoomed the problems were clear. When I tried to carve the word I was told "vectors overlap no toolpath" So I tried to spread the letters a bit until a toolpath was created. Obviously I made a mess of things.
How can I get a toolpath without all the moving and adjusting?
Thanks,,,, as always the answers are here.

joe
02-19-2008, 06:34 PM
David,

I also have "English" and would be glad to set the type here so you can try my version. Also I'd be happy to give it a quick cut on my machine.

It's rather doubtful the problem is with the font or conversion. I had these problems in the past and have seen dozens of complaint with chatter.

Joe
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)