PDA

View Full Version : Questions for cabinet makers?

myxpykalix
01-08-2007, 03:36 AM
I had posted pics and plans on carving a design into these cabinets in this thread:
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/312/17377.html?1167965422
I've come up with some other designs that i think would look nicer if they were made in mdf for a more intricate carving. My qustion in how many of you cabinet builders make the doors out of mdf? Do they hold screws good. I've read some threads about the priming /sanding aspect of it but might take these down and make them out of mdf (What thickness?)

bleeth
01-08-2007, 06:04 AM
Paint grade doors from MDF is commonplace. Hinge mounting screws that mount into the back face are fine-Coarse thread is the way to go with this-The screws that typically come with the overlay hinges in the picture are fine thread and should be changed out. For finishing purposes it is better to edgeband the doors with veneer tape although not necessary. Regular MDF has the advantage of easier sealing of edges and carved areas and Ultra-lite has the advantage of less heavy doors.

dmidkiff
01-08-2007, 07:16 AM
And always predrill.

gene
01-08-2007, 02:33 PM
Jack,
All of my paint grade cabinets have mdf doors . We drill and press the hinges into the back of the doors and have never had a failure. The problems come in finishing the doors, Mdf doesnt like moisture, so when you spray them expect fuzzing. Your best to sand them with a very fine 400 to 600 grit to close the fibers in the doors before finishing them.
Remember light coats of sealer work better than heavy ones. Sand between coats. Hope this helps,
Gene

jamesgilliam
01-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Jack, Instead of MDF I use Trupan Ultralite, it is about half the weight. It holds screws and finishes about the same as MDF but is not made with formaldehyde.

myxpykalix
01-08-2007, 04:40 PM
I just got prices from a distributor about 80 miles away from me. It might be half the weight, but its DOUBLE the cost! 4x8x3/4" sheet was 38.22
mdf is less than $20.00. Not worth it in my book....

bleeth
01-08-2007, 06:51 PM
An open question: How many botters have had or know someone who has had back injuries, hernias, etc. from hauling MDF?
Jack: MDF typically also contains bits of metal as it is often made from ground up secondary product and one bit of metal can do in an expensive carbide bit. Trupan is made from virgin radiata pine that is plantation grown. There are reasons for the cost, and if you are talking about a kitchen or so worth of doors your are not adding that many dollars since the material is always worth a fraction of the labor. Kitchen size upper doors of MDF are typically also too heavy to use touch latches well (if you wish).

That being said-There are many times I have opted for mdf instead of ultra lite for the same reason-but usually it is in a job that is using units and bid close to the bone.

The regularity of the color of Trupan also lends itself to transparent tint staining and clear overcoating which gives a very cool look.

myxpykalix
01-08-2007, 10:01 PM
What i have is 4 13x28 kitchen cabinets that i wanted to reface. My decision is, do i want to drive 160 miles round trip and pay double the cost or drive 5 miles and half the cost? It don't take a brain surgeon to figure out where i'm going...Thanks for the advice though.

And YES I have carried 4x8 sheets of mdf myself and thought I was gonna die! So i know what a backbreaker this stuff is.

bcammack
01-09-2007, 07:51 AM
I have one of these for moving 4x8 sheets of material solo. $6 at Harbor Freight.

Like having one arm 18" longer than the other, but without the surgery or the awkward dating situations.

bill_l
01-09-2007, 08:23 AM
Jack,

I just sent you an e-mail. I didn't pay anywhere near that for 4x8x3/4 Trupan but that price looks pretty close to the 1" thick sheet. I'll check the invoice when I get home.

Bill

dray
01-23-2007, 11:46 PM
I have installed hundreds and hundreds of MDF doors on our paint grade cabinets and only had one cabinet fail. I was training a new guy (euro style frameless) and on the end cabinets I had to put a filler in and screwed the doors into end grain on mdf. It turned into a nightmare I tried to epoxy them, super glue them. Then ended up pulling it apart and just doing it right lol who woulda figured

dray
01-25-2007, 08:43 PM
I pay $22 per sheet of ultralight mdf "trupan"

davidallen
01-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Danny,

What's your source (where)?