View Full Version : New To ShopBot

djmcnutt
03-15-2005, 09:35 PM
I'm looking very hard at ShopBot and have decided to come to the Jamboree in April to learn more and look at what can be done with one. While in Durham I have made contact with some current users but would like to maybe visit some others that use a ShopBot in there shops. I want to learn as much as I can and see all of the option on what can be done with a ShopBot.If anyone could provide me with some company names that would be open to showing me what they have done would be appreciated.

rookie432
03-16-2005, 08:44 AM
Dave,
If your coming to the Jamboree you will have a wealth of users to meet. 99% of attendees are shopbotters who are using shopbots in their shops. There will be plenty of examples of their work to see. It's a 50/50 benefit to go. 50% to learn what shopbot has set up for us and 50% to talk to and learn from each other.
Its a win win for you.

See you there
Bill

geneM (Unregistered Guest)
03-16-2005, 09:42 AM
Welcome Dave,
Check us out
www.marshallsmillwork.com (http://www.marshallsmillwork.com)
call the office if you want
732-899-4458
Gene

gwilson
03-16-2005, 01:59 PM
I am also looking to buy a ShopBot and must say that of all the companies I have looked at, the support from other user in this forum impressed me alot. Has anyone had much setup or running problems that a newbie should know about?

sleepy
03-21-2005, 11:19 AM
Gerald
I have had a benchtop fpr 5 years now and had my first problem with it this last month. Come to find out it was a problem in the software that I created. Even if you do have problems Their customer support is GREAT.

gwilson
03-21-2005, 08:45 PM
David sound great that is the kind of stuff ya want to hear about.
Thanks

bob_anderson
03-22-2005, 09:46 AM
I have also been studying CNC and it's uses for the last two years and have recently placed an order and will be coming to the Jamboree to pick up my machine. The greatest concern I have is how to build a hold down system that is versatile enough to change parts with out having long set up times. I make furniture and my limited experience has been with CNC milling machines that work off a vice and parallels. I hope to find some answers at the Jamboree. I have read a lot of threads on vacumm, clamping, and screwing pieces to the table, but they all seem to have many disadvanteges. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance. Bob

Brady Watson
03-22-2005, 09:34 PM
Bob,
Generally speaking, a CNC wood router is much easier to fix parts to than let's say a meal mill. You have several options on how you mount parts...One might be strategicly placed screws thru the piece into the spoilboard, where that isn't possible, double sided tape can be used. You can also make a vacuum jig to hold down your parts with a Shopvac and if that doesn't pull hard enough, you can make or buy a large vacuum pump.

It is difficult to say what your specific needs are for your parts. So it's good that you are going to the Jamboree so that you can speak to others about your projects. Be sure to bring a picture or diagram showing the parts you intend to cut if they are not easily explained in conversation.

See ya there!
-Brady

bob_anderson
03-23-2005, 07:33 AM
Brady,
I guess I'm too concerned about getting a exact 0,0 reference point. I'm sure I'll get some excellant advice at the Jamboree. Thamks for the comment.

Bob

Brady Watson
03-23-2005, 09:07 AM
Robert,
Let's say that you buy a PRT Alpha 96...and you essentially have a 48 X 96 machineable area...By no means do you have to define the 0,0 point at the lower left of the machine. You could just as easily setup one of your furniture part jigs in the middle of the table somewhere, and move the router so that the center of the bit is on your X and Y zero reference point on your jig, and simply tell the machine that is where 0,0 is. You would do this using the Z2 command...or set the X with ZX and the Y with ZY. It's all very easy. The Z axis is set using the Z-zero plate, that the bit touches when you run the z-zero routine in the software.

In software, in this case PartWizard, you would setup your toolpathing routine so that it works off of the same 0,0 point as you have on your furniture jig. That way everything is lined up...It's not hard...you'll pick it up quickly.

Are you going to attend the training sessions before the Jamboree?

-Brady

03-23-2005, 11:05 AM
Mind if I chime in?

with wood projects, I find that the block should be larger than the part, and then trim the edges later.
This makes it easier( for me at least) to hold dimensions and sand straight lines.

Also it is a good idea to not use a constant 0,0,0.
Metal parts wear out, utilize the whole table to spread out the wear.
This may not be appearant early in the life of a tool, but down the road it will make a difference.

Soory to interupt
Gene Marshall

billp
03-23-2005, 12:12 PM
Another good reason to do as Gene suggests with a larger block size is that it gives you someplace to zero your Z axis if there is any screw up in the cutting of the file. If it's a 3D file you won't have a reference surface any longer unless you leave a 'border"...
Those of us who go back to the cable drive machine days learned early on that we HAD to change the "0,0"point all the time as the cables would tend to wear out by running over the pulleys in the same spot repeatedly, and that process still can hold true if you only use a limited section of your machine.

gerald_d
03-23-2005, 12:43 PM
I think that a big thing that must be un-learnt when starting with CNC, is to cut "blanks" exactly to minimum rectangular size.

bob_anderson
03-23-2005, 08:22 PM
I had not planned to attend the training before the Jamboree. I had wondered if 0,0,0 could be located anywhere on the cutting surface. That makes it a whole lot easier for me to see how I could jig up for many different parts. Thanks for the input on constant wear effects. It makes a lot of sense.

03-24-2005, 08:07 AM
Also,
there was a thread elsewhere on this site about setting up a table with platforms.

this works well.
we have had ours this way for a few years.
2 out of 5 z axis' have worn considerably.
but with the platform aproach, we are now "wearing out" a different part of the z axis and are putting off the replacment parts untill it will become more urgent

Cheers to the new guys

the purchase of a CNC will change your life.

no kidding

gene marshall

djmcnutt
03-24-2005, 05:52 PM
I would like to thank everyone that has responed to my message. I can see that the group of people the use ShopBot tools are a great group and very open. I'm looking forward to meeting as many of you at the Jamboree.

khalil_raime
04-08-2005, 02:25 PM
Hello, i am form the dominican republic, we are interested in buying a router(our firts one) since we do alot of displays with acrilic. To be honest I am more confused than ever. I went to ISA convention in Las Vegas and 10 or 15 salesman were all over me tellng me there products was the best. Can someone help me out.

Brady Watson
04-08-2005, 03:25 PM
Khalil,
Although I am a bit biased towards shopbot, there is no other CNC out there in the Shopbot's price range that is as versatile, fast and affordable. Since the shopbot was built to be maintained by the 'common man'...there is very little on the machine that you cannot replace, if necessary, through local suppliers.

-Brady

daveiannone
04-08-2005, 04:06 PM
Khalil,
I , like Brady, am a bit biased toward Shopbot after owning one since 2002, but before we bought I followed this forum for 3 months and did a LOT of checking around.My son was dead set on buying a $50K Gerber table. Then we were at the Atlantic City sign show that year and Bill Palumbo was there with a Shopbot on display.My son talked to Bill for quite some time ( I was already sold on Shopbot by that time).2 months later we ordered the Bot and have not regreted it for one minute.I have spent MUCH more $ for other equipment and not gotten NEAR the support that I have with Shopbot, not to mention this forum which was the biggest factor in MY decision to go with Shopbot.
You really need to do some looking around for yourself ,but you should follow this forum and see what an asset this would be to you after the purchase.
Honestly , if I were given a Gerber table tommorrow, I would sell it and keep the Bot..
That's my opinion for what it is worth..
Good luck in your decision.
Dave I