PDA

View Full Version : After 5 Years as a Bot Head, I Can Say This....

tuck
03-15-2007, 09:41 PM
It's still a blast! I purchased a used PRT 5 years ago and started a small sign business. I didn't even know how to turn a computer on, but I knew signs and design from working in the business most of my life. I had a lot to learn (and still do), but with some good help from a certain Bot Head by the name of Ron Varela, I was making dust soon enough. Learning CAD has been a great experience!

My PRT is a '96 with a wood table. It's ugly as sin and covered with overspray (hey, it's a small shop!), but keeps plugging along with very few problems over the years. And the few problems I have had with it, ShopBot has been "Johnny on the Spot" with help. You just don't get that kind of customer service anywhere, not to mention the wealth of information and help one can get on this great forum, and that's why my next machine will be a Bot. I'd love to get a new PRS with a shiny blue steel table, so's I can cover it with overspray as well. Ha!

Anyway, I still get a kick when I fire that old sucker up and it starts making dust and money. It's my only employee. It rarely complains and has never asked for a raise. It always does EXACTLY what I tell it to, even if my "instructions" were wrong!

All in all, I can honestly say that this has been one of the best things I've done in my 54 years, and I'd do it all over again in a heart beat!

Here's to ya, ShopBot!

harryball
03-15-2007, 09:59 PM
Mark, I can identify with what you're saying, I hope to be able to say the same 5 years hence. I've had my PRT Alpha96 for going on 6 months now and it is the best employee I've ever had! I ran a small project just after official "closing time" today for our church Easter play. It did a decorative fence cut out in about 30 minutes and didn't once complain about overtime!

I should have purchased one 5 years ago myself. Glad to hear your story.

Robert

tuck
03-15-2007, 10:15 PM
Robert, I built my shop next to my house. Often times I stumble out to the shop in the morning (6 steps, no traffic jams), in my underwear, load the material, start the Bot, and go back in the house for breakfast, morning news, another cup of coffee, a few phone calls, get dressed, walk the dog, whatever, whilst my "employee" is out there humming away on a large and complicated sign that may take 2 or 3 hours to cut. I say to myself: "Self, it don't get no better than this!" =)

signsbyjay
03-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Mark, I am you 5 years ago, just bought a wooden table Bot, sure hope I can get it set up soon.
I am having to clean and rearrange the whole shop to give her a proper place to work.
It sure is reasurring to here comments like yours

Jay

Brady Watson
03-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Yep...glad I bought when I did 5yrs ago too! I knew NOTHING about CNC, routers, CAD or CAM...nada...zilch! With enough desire, determination and a good running bot, you can go places...or stay at home!

-B

tuck
03-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Haha Jay, good for you! I think you did the smart thing by starting with a used machine, wooden table and all! You can always upgrade later, if you need to. If you're not running high-speed heavy duty production 8 to 10 hours a day, you'll hardly need a new Alpha anyway, and the older machines can still make you good $$$! Congrats, and welcome to the wonderful world of CNC!

rg_engravers
03-16-2007, 02:25 AM
I bought mine 10-12 years ago and still have the old 4 cable system.
I made so much dust that the city wanted to charge me Mess Tax.
Now that I am retired and in a new home, no telling what the city will try to tax me with