PDA

View Full Version : Welding to the shopbot?

drodda
01-27-2007, 02:44 PM
While welding to the frame of the carriage do you have to unhook the controller or can you just weld away without the risk of hurting the controller? I am trying to weld a bracket on the Z and was wanting to know if you can weld without damage?

Thanks,
-D

paco
01-27-2007, 03:08 PM
Seriously consider the circuit path of the welding. Ground as close as possible. You won't be as safe as if you would do it the right way; disassembling the part you want to weld on and work "away" from electric sensitive equipment... even if it may sound like an over kill safety protocol.

Brady Watson
01-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Dave,
I welded my PRT gantry and unplugged everything just to be safe. Keep the ground cable as close to your welding as you can. I don't think that you HAVE to unplug everything since I never fried anything with the plasma cutter running on the tool...but I did just to be safe.

-B

drodda
01-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Thanks,

I welded a plywood frame rack below my table a few months ago and then I removed the Controller from the frame and took the gantry off and laid it on some saw horses but his time I would like to welg the Z and it is still attached to the gantry. So I thought I would at least get all my buddies on this forum to stand behind me and encourage me to jump off the cliff.

I will let you know what happens if anything does but I really don't want to dissassemble the whole machine.

Thanks,
-D

Brady Watson
01-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Why not just drop the X-motors and lift the gantry up on 2X4's ??? Then you can leave the box on the frame.

-B

davidallen
01-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Hey Dave,

Where did you learn to weld plywood? Will you be giving lessons at the camps?

da

drodda
01-28-2007, 12:23 AM
You did not get that option with your machine?