PDA

View Full Version : Which cad program

gerard
02-09-2008, 02:15 PM
autocad, turbocad, bobcad, there are a ton of different versions of cad programs out there, obviously, each is better for a specific purpose, or function, and while each software company has the superdeluxe $1000 package, I see earlier versions at a price point of $100 or less.
now although I know "you get what you pay for", my question is are these lower priced versions suitable for the majority of applications needed in designing for the shopbot.
what cad software are you running, what do you like about it?

knight_toolworks
02-09-2008, 02:58 PM
I would try them and find the one you like. that is more important then anything else. one you can make your drawings in. if you have to battle it or spend years learning it will slow you down.

beacon14
02-09-2008, 08:47 PM
I do everything for the 'bot on DesignCad (and import into Vcarve Pro for toolpaths). You can often get the 2D version for $50 or less. It does have a few quirks but it's extremely powerful and pretty straightforward to use. I don't do a lot of text with it but for parts and various shapes it's excellent.

scottbot
02-10-2008, 12:21 AM
I use AutoCAD 2002. I found it for sale on a Buy/Sell/Trade web site by a company that was closing down. I think I paid $150 for it. As Steve said the learning curve is a key consideration. I was lucky because I have a friend who was willing to teach me the basics and get me started. Otherwise I would still be fumbling around wasting my time.

carve_1
02-10-2008, 12:17 PM
I am trying Bobcad 21. since it is the old version there are no matinance fees and thier 10 cd learning professor package tells me everything I need to know. I paid 8 bills for v21, Bobart pro and Bobnest, but better deals may be availible. I have successfully drawn everything I have tried so far. I am currantly setting up my Alpha 4896 so have no experiance with the Bobcad post to Shopbot as yet.
Charlie.

greolt
02-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Gerard "you get what you pay for" is right about most things but here is an exception.

Autocad Lite (2D version) is quite expensive but has a FREE lookalike.

Progecad Smart is well worth a look if Autocad style cad is what you want.

Not all free software is worth having but this is one exception.

It has all but the high end features and will do all that most bot users will need.

Very good compatibility with 2D DXF and DWG files that customers may send you.

gerard
02-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Thats just it, with the range of pricing, it seems like you can spend a tremendous amount of Money of a cad program, and of course, they offer a ton of features, but given the fact that my purposes for buying a cad program at to use with the shopbot, I really only need an application that has features necessary to that sort of design work, perhaps as I get more skilled with what ever cad program I end up with, I will be better able to regognize the functions and features that will better allow me to utilize the concept, but until that time, I think I am best served with a lower cost application to ramp up with.

jshoes51
02-17-2008, 09:36 PM
I've been looking around at 3d programs as well. Rhino, autocad, turbocad, solidworks? Basicly all i want to do is cut boat parts right now. Such things as rudder blades, centerboards, daggerboards etc from foam or cedar blanks. Can anyone recommend a basic program?

Thanks

Brady Watson
02-18-2008, 01:01 AM
Jim,
You won't need anything other than what comes with the machine if the parts are basic. Going forward, Rhino would be a good choice.

-B

kfitz
02-18-2008, 04:52 PM
I've been using TurboCad since v4. It will do most everything you want. Here is a link to the free LE (Learning Edition) version:
www.freecad.com/files/TCAD_LE_setup_files.exe (http://www.freecad.com/files/TCAD_LE_setup_files.exe)
I now have v7 Pro.

Also been using Rhino since the pre 1.0 beta days. It is an outstanding program for more advanced work. You can DL a free (25 save) version at www.rhino3d.com (http://www.rhino3d.com). It is especially good for boat design.

jshoes51
02-18-2008, 08:27 PM
Brady, Kevin,
Two dimensional parts I can handle in my old turbocad v2. It's 3d parts that I get stuck on. I still have to make the rudder for the boat I'm building. It's a foil shape somewhat like an airplane wing. What I have from the designer in both full-size patterns and dxf files are the total dimensions in length, width and thickness, and the shapes that the foil is supposed to be at various intervals along its length. It doesn't seem like a difficult thing to draw, but I checked out Rhino, and it will set me back $1k because I'm not a student. I also have turbocad v2 from many years ago, and it doesn't draw in 3d. A few people have offered to draw it for me, but I need to learn how to do this myself as it could lead to more business down the road. Is there a scaled down version of Rhino out there, or should I just bite the bullet?

Thanks

kfitz
02-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Jim,
You need the ability to loft. Although it would be really nice, you don't need Rhino to loft. My TurboCad v7 Pro will loft profiles to create a 3d object like an airfoil. You should be able to pick up an older (new old stock) version of TC Pro pretty cheap on eBay. I have TC v12 Pro at work and like v7 at home a lot better. Many have the opinion that v8 was the pinnacle (in terms of useability) before IMSI started really fouling things up. My $.02: TC v8 Pro would be next to impossible to beat in bang/buck for what you want to do.

jshoes51
02-18-2008, 10:59 PM
Thanks Kevin. I'll look for a copy on ebay.

jshoes51
02-19-2008, 04:34 PM
Kevin,

Is this TC v8 Pro? Or is Pro a different program than this v8?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00030EFRQ/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Thanks

kfitz
02-19-2008, 05:02 PM
Jim,

I suspect it is the low-end version (Standard?). Maybe v8 is too far back to easily find a copy! You might have to move up to a higher version. You might want to check at the TurboCad forums: http://forums.imsisoft.com/forums/Main.cfm?CFApp=200