PDA

View Full Version : Useless information

myxpykalix
01-26-2009, 02:21 AM
Hold down the "alt" key and enter the number 155 from the key pad portion of
your keyboard, then release the alt key. You must use the number pad and
not the numbers above the letters. This is one of 128 extended characters
at your disposal. they start at 1 and continue up to 254.

alt 155 = ¢ alt 167 = º (the degree symbol) alt 171 = ½ and so on. Most
symbols are useless to me but some are kinda neat.
--------------------------------
I don't know where i got this info from but i just copied it here, some you may use...

drodda
01-26-2009, 02:55 AM
These are the extended ascii keystrokes to get the extended ascii codes to show up.

These don't get used as much as they used to back in the basic days. You can find a list of all these with a simple google search.

fmihm
01-26-2009, 03:39 AM
In another thread, Eric Sifford asked, ". . . where did the cent mark go, you know, the C with a line through it?"

Getting rid of the cent-mark was probably a nefarious scheme involving nepotism and intrigue at Microsoft.

Here's how to get a cent-mark (¢) in some fonts:
While holding down the Alt-key, press 0162 on your numeric keypad , and then release the Alt-key. Voila, the cent-mark appears. Be sure you use your numeric keypad -- the block of numbers at the right of your keyboard -- NOT the numbers across the TOP of your keyboard!

Here's how to access some characters that have been mapped to be upper-ASCII:
Alt 0162 -- cent sign, ¢
Alt 0176 -- degree-mark, °
Alt 0169 -- copyright symbol, ©
Alt 0177 -- plus-minus sign, ±
Alt 0181 -- micro sign (Greek mu), µ
Alt 0188 -- one-quarter, ¼
Alt 0189 -- one-half, ½
Alt 0190 -- three-quarters, ¾
Alt 0163 -- Pound sign, £
Alt 0160 -- non-break space

Note that the result you get is font-dependent. If you use this technique while you are "in" the Symbols or Wingdings font, you will get a different result.

HTH.

carlosgmarroquin
01-26-2009, 10:05 AM
Don't forget that this procedure is very useful to get the vowels with all the tildes used in other languages. Provided that the font has those characters.

randy
01-26-2009, 10:13 AM
And for those of us who have trouble remembering numbers larger than "20", there is the Character Map under Programs/Accessories/System Tools.

john_l
01-31-2009, 10:31 PM
One I always use...

Alt 170 = ®